Whey protein or lactose intolerant?

fullhousemom
on 12/17/11 9:57 am
 How do you know if your body has an aversion to whey protein or if you are lactose intolerant?  Do the symptoms range from mold to severe?  Do you have severe cramping or just a mild upset stomach. I started Lori's protein shakes with the Champion whey protein and I have had a hard time eating ever since.  I am a little over two months out.   With 26 grams of protein per coffee, do I assume I am just not hungry (because of all the protein)?  I have one in the morning and one around 2 pm.   Then dinner. Yes, I get in my protein but I feel so bloated and full!

I did have a latte with protein from Starbucks last week, and was gassy later. But, I can eat all kinds of cheese!

Any comments or insights would be appreciated!  Thanks!
Its a Secret
on 12/17/11 10:37 am
I am seriously lactose intolerant but I can eat cheese, whey protein (muscle tech) and yogurt.   For some reason ricotta is out...gives me the runs (tmi).  Could have been the milk in the latte...

I think it's a YMMV thing...try it and see.

fullhousemom
on 12/17/11 11:03 am
 Thanks for your comments. I am hoping that I am not lactose intolerant. I havent drank much milk since my surgery, but that latte did not sit well. I guess it could have been the expresso?  Ugh!  I will have to do some experimenting. 
Julie R.
on 12/17/11 10:51 am - Ludington, MI
 NOTHING gives me gas issues more than Champion does.   Ugh - gassy, bloated, crampy and gurgly.    And it's such a good tasting whey protein.     Even at five years out, I have to be very careful of whey shakes.     I seem t ohave the best luck with Designer Whey and Syntrax Nectar.    I remain lactose intolerant - but only with milk and half and half.   I can eat cheese, yogurt, and cottage cheese.   At first, I could only handle cheese, so it has improved.  
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

fullhousemom
on 12/17/11 11:01 am
 The "gassy, bloated, crampy and gurgly" explains me to a T about 15 minutes ago. I had a vanilla shake with the Champion Vanilla Whey protein. That may be the culprit!  Of course, I just purchased two huge containers of it!  Fortunately, my husband has been using it as well. All I have had to eat today is two shakes, a mozarella cheese stick, and steak.   The cheese and steak have never bothered me before. 

I will try the other brands and see if I can get better results. Thanks for your comments. 

Julie R.
on 12/17/11 11:15 am - Ludington, MI
 I ended up giving a huge $35 container away!    Arrrgh!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

bdocker
on 12/17/11 12:17 pm
fullhousemom
on 12/17/11 10:33 pm
 10 days is depressing!  I am taking it out of my diet starting today. I had a horrible night and feel like someone ha*****hed my stomach over and over!  Concentrating on liquids and food protein. 
sandyv63
on 12/17/11 12:19 pm - Naples, FL
I am lactose intolerant (was prior to having the DS) and once I added Digestive Advantage Lactose Defense Formula to my routine, I had no problem with half & half or Champion Chocolate Whey Stack (once I got over the 'food tastes like crap' stage. Man am I glad that is OVER.)  I can only mix it with half & half and some water though, not milk.  BTW, cheese has no lactose in it but yogurt does. I can eat that too now without having any gas issues.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
honeybadger 11
on 12/17/11 3:04 pm - FL
Thank Sandy, i will have to look into that Digestive Advantage:)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com