DS causing mental issues?

momx4
on 12/17/11 7:56 am - TX
Hello vets,

I am almost 6 weeks out, only get about 45g of protein a day and prolly not getting the fluid they say is required, but I know I am not dehydrated either.  I am taking some of vitalady's vites but not all of them yet.

I am however suffering now from some mental issues.  Not sure if I should call it depression?  All I know is that I am not very short tempered, and I am not normally, I fly off the handle now, it is like nothing makes me happy right now.  I complain if it is raining outside for god's sake?  what the hell is happening to me?  I am normally a happy go lucky person.  My marriage is not solid per say, and is actually kinda "flaky" but that isn't new.  I have 4 kids, but that isn't new either!!

What is new is that I don't handle things the way I used too.......again EVERY thing gets to me......even the small stuff!!    I'm tired all the time, have no energy, don't want to hang with friends, its depression isn't it?   
Kristi                
MajorMom
on 12/17/11 8:02 am - VA
Could be hormones going crazy. It happens as we lose weight.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/17/11 8:19 am
 There is such a thing as post surgical depression.  Do you have good insurance so that maybe you can go talk to a professional about it (i.e. Psychologist or counselor of some sort)?

I know that the surgery threw me way out of wack but I was already out of wack and on meds preop.  After surgery I needed to up my meds to get back in balance and i know I'm not there yet but it's getting better by the day.

I hope you're ok, and please understand that what you're feeling is normal--in that it happens to lots and lots of people.  See if you can go see someone please.  I'm sure it'll help you cope.

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

Paula R.
on 12/17/11 8:31 am - Portland, OR
I was told by the surgeon that I consulted with to do my revision that obesity is a multi-pronged problem that usually requires a multi-pronged approach.  A lot of things change for us after surgery.  This does include hormonal issues.  It may also be too that post-surgery, we cant easily turn to the usual coping mechanism we used to turn to.  Plus you are still just 6 weeks out from a major surgery.  Thats a lot for someone to handle all at the same time.

I remember that I started having a bit of a tough time emotionally about a month and a half after my first surgery.  It does get better though.  Are you participating in any wls support groups or seeing a therapist?  That might help you get over the rough patch you are going through right now.  I hope things get better for you soon.
My signature is in the witness protection program

beth-28
on 12/17/11 8:46 am
Speak to a therapist if possible. Even if it's hormones, a therapist could probably help.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

gak
on 12/17/11 9:01 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Try to hydrate more.. I know it's hard.. The hormones at this point in time sux. If you can, possibly a short term antidepressant will help get you over the hump. Seems like it can last for a week or 2 or 5 or 6, it really varies. Keep focusing on end result. 

Why are you sure you are not dehydrated ? What is the shade of your urine ? dark or light ? 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Its a Secret
on 12/17/11 9:26 am
hormones or have your potassium checked..it can wreak havoc on everything.

I'm not a vet...just a bit *itchy LOL

fullhousemom
on 12/17/11 9:39 am, edited 12/17/11 10:20 am
Please understand that this time is a very difficult time. I remember it well. It WILL pass. Trying to focus on water, protein, vitamins....and that is just taking care of yourself!  This is a stressful time of the year on top of your surgery. 

I have 5 kids and a "decent" marriage, meaning, our lives are so busy that sometimes Dave and I are like ships passing in the night!  We can go a few days without really talking because of the kids and our own schedules. 

What you are feeling is normal.  It will pass.  Don't beat yourself up for the next couple of weeks.  I have found that the more rapid I lose weight, the more my mood becomes foul.  You can be less than perfect and still survive!  Ask your hubby to take the kids out for a while. If you need to speak to a therapist or get in an antidepressant, do. I do think that as your body heals and you start to feel better, you will bounce back to your old self!

I wish I could be more helpful!  Get thru the holidays and hopefully things will get better!
inkedandsleeved
on 12/17/11 12:25 pm
 In the surgery guide Dr. Rabkin gave us it says that hormones are stored in fat cells and as we burn fat the hormone levels go wacko.

can you talk to somebody? especially if you have thoughts of self-harm?
prettypixels
on 12/17/11 1:00 pm
Hormones going crazy, mine too. I have been bonkers. SUCKS. Try to get your fluids and protein in, can you add in a shake or something?