Just a pre-op update...

CriscoNinja
on 12/15/11 10:02 am, edited 12/14/11 10:04 pm
DS on 06/05/12
So, just plugging away with the research and lurking here. I've made up my mind, it's DS or nothing.

I have a seminar date with Dr. Ikramuddin (anyone have any input on him?) on the 23rd. I have a support letter from my pcp, sleep study is scheduled for the 26th, and my shrink appt is January 18th. In the mean time I'm doing the 6 month supervised diet for insurance. If all goes to plan I'm hoping to have surgery late may/ early June ;)

I've only told close friends/family about my decision for wls, my dad, brother, best friend, and a few other close friends are all supportive. I think I'll be ready to shout it from the roof tops once I get insurance approved... Lol

I have a couple vitamin questions... I haven't had the full work up yet, but my vit d is low (13), and my ferritin is high so right now I'm on 50,000 iu's of vit d twice a week, and a multivitamin without iron. I'm looking to start ordering vitamins from vitalady and warned my hubby that my vitamins will probably cost 1300-1500 a year and he's completely supportive. I'm feeling very blessed with my support system so far. :). My question is, do you recommend buying the prepackaged ones, or just the individual bottles? I know that the Vito's might need tweaking so I'm a little weary of the prepackaged ones, or is it good to start with those in the beginning?

Also, I just wanted to thank you all for the awesome info and resources you share, I really feel like this all coming together for me. I have this odd sense of calm that I'll get approved and have this life changing opportunity. Am so thankful for Diana's thanksgiving thread!! Without that thread I wouldn't have known about the DS.

To all the newly switched: thanks for sharing your experiences, good and bad, I feel like I am getting a real picture of what post op might be like... So thank you!!!
Well I used to have a link here, but you know how that goes...
sandyv63
on 12/15/11 10:21 am - Naples, FL
Welcome! Sounds like you are doing what you need to do to get ready for your surgery. Your D is way too low so I am glad you are taking care of that. Mine was 18 due to a parathyroid tumor and my surgery was delayed 7 months but there was no way I was going to get this surgery with such a low D level. I managed to get it up to 55 by the time I got my surgery.  I would add a good probiotic to your current supplements because it will really help with gut issues post op. It really helps control the odor and gut infections. It is never too early to start.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
CriscoNinja
on 12/15/11 11:41 am
DS on 06/05/12
I'm interested to see all my other levels, I'm getting the full panel in january to make sure I'm good with everything else :) do you have any suggestions on a probiotic?  I dig yogurt but I'm sure you mean more than that... Lol ;)
sandyv63
on 12/15/11 8:54 pm - Naples, FL
I use Jarro-Dophilus but there are lots of brands available. Look for something that has at least 5 different strains, preferably more. Jarro-Dophilus has 8 strains. It comes in a yellow Arm & Hammer looking box. You can use more than one brand at a time. Besides the Jarro-Dophilus, I also take Digestive Advantage Lactose Defense formula because I am lactose intolerant. It really helps.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
honeybadger 11
on 12/15/11 10:33 am - FL
Good job on choosing the right surgery:) Im 5 weeks out and incredibly happy i was given this opportunity. You will do great with the DS. I hope all goes well with your approval.  Im not familiar with your surgeon but if hes on dsfacts.com he should be good to go. Hopefully one of the vets will chime in on that:)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

CriscoNinja
on 12/15/11 11:38 am
DS on 06/05/12
 Thanks!  I'm really looking forward to joining everyone on the dark side ;)
callmeEJ
on 12/15/11 10:49 am - Minneapolis, MN
I have no real insight on Dr. I, but I've met him and he's very nice. He's also very highly regarded among his patients. Are you on the FB MN DSer group? There are several patients of his in the group if you want to pick their brains. If you want me to add you to the group, PM me w/ your email address so I can add you on Facebook?

As for vites, when you say the prepackaged ones, are you meaning the combo ADEK like the bariatric vitamin companies sell us? Those are usually pretty inadequate for our needs. I buy the individual vites, mostly from Vitalady. It makes it easier to tweak my levels when I need to adjust things up or down. I followed Vitalady's plan for for the first 6 months, and then when I had my 6 month labs, I tweaked them according to the levels I needed. I added D some, I took some away. When I had my 1 year labs, I've added more and taken more away! Doing individual vites is really the way to go, IMO.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
CriscoNinja
on 12/15/11 11:37 am, edited 12/15/11 1:10 pm
DS on 06/05/12
 That'd be great!  I'll pm you :). By prepackaged I meant the ones vitalady packaged as morning, mid-day, afternoon,evening.... So still her vites just in little packages ;)
callmeEJ
on 12/15/11 11:36 pm - Minneapolis, MN
AH! Sorry to make assumptions :). Well, if you wanna go that route for convience, esp for the first few months, go for it. I am bargain hunter by nature, so I buy everything separately (plus she wasn't offering those packages when I had my DS, but that's neither here nor there). Puratain's Pride website has great deals on some of the non ADEK vites, and so does Costco if you happen to live near one.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
PatXYZ
on 12/16/11 12:36 am
Question for you - you said you are taking 50,000iu of Vitamin D twice per week. Is that by prescription? If it is, it is D2 and you're only absorbing a fraction of it (somewhere from 1/3 to 1/10) as it is an inefficient form of Vitamin D that your body must convert to D3 before making use of it. You can get 50,000iu of D3 from Vitalady or smaller denominations of D3 at the grocery store or pharmacy and simply take more of it. Taking D3 will raise your levels much faster than taking D2.

It sounds like you have awesome support. Congrats and good luck!