Potassium redux

gak
on 12/16/11 3:21 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
MANY Post-ops have to take prescription Potassium ! As you probably already know it has a TON to do with heart function. With having afib, you should probably be on prescription strength and stop messing around with other options. Be sure it's a capsule and NOT a tablet or enteric coated tablet as as capsule, which means most generics will readily absorb quicker. I take 20 meq a.m. and p.m. and have since about 3 months post-op. Hope you see a good heart doc soon, I would not mess with a PCP with having afib.. JMO

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Its a Secret
on 12/16/11 11:31 pm, edited 1/25/12 7:46 am
Removed because OH has chosen to share my posts, upload, journey etc. on Facebook without my permission.

Kayla B.
on 12/16/11 11:53 pm - Austin, TX
1.  I think a post op that is low on potassium should be on a prescription strength version, at least temporarily.  Why didn't she put you on one?  You are not a normal person.  Normies could perhaps increase their potassium with diet but the chances for you to do so aren't as great.  Over the counter potassium is maxed at 99mg/dose.  You'd have to take a crapton of pills to reach prescription potency. 

2.  Bananas aren't the best food source of potassium anyways.  Only like 400mg of potassium in a banana anyways.  You're better off with the V8 or something like an avocado.  But again, you need to be focusing on protein and taking a potassium (rx) supplement, then you meet both needs at once instead of eating for potassium instead of eating for protein.

3.  Green leafy vegetables have vitamin K, which does interact with coumadin, but if you're not on coumadin, why did your doctor say this?  Oh, and it's not so much that you need to avoid vitamin K, but that you need to keep your intake stable so they can give the correct dose of coumadin. 

4.  You asked what the minimum acceptable is, but I am thinking you meant maximum?  A person with healthy kidneys should excrete excess potassium. 
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Its a Secret
on 12/17/11 12:19 am, edited 1/25/12 7:46 am
Removed because OH has chosen to share my posts, upload, journey etc. on Facebook without my permission.