Question for those that had an open DS

songbird177
on 12/16/11 1:37 pm - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
I, too, am going to see Dr. Crookes. How was the overall experience? Did you like his bedside manner? How was the staff at the hospital? How long did you have to stay in the hospital?

I think the part that scares me is the fact that my body is being split open. Kind of makes me feel vulnerable if that makes any sense lol. Also, I have images of when my father had abdominal surgery. His scar was a bit different. They had to take out half of his liver and gave him a mercedes type of scar. I guess imagining myself being cut open similar to that reminds me of what he had to go through being sick with his cancer -- all the surgeries and eventually his passing. But I know I need to do this to save my life. It just really scares me to be exposed like that.
Elizabeth N.
on 12/16/11 4:11 pm - Burlington County, NJ
(deactivated member)
on 12/17/11 5:36 am
My overall experience was very good. Dr.Crookes is an amazing person/ surgeon, with a great bedside manner. I was very impressed with USC hospital and staff. I had ZERO complaints.  I had my surgery on and expected to stay until Sunday, but didn't get released until Tuesday. No complications just wasn't quite ready to go home. Dr.Crookes doesn't rush you out either. I like that about him, he genuinely cares for his patients.

I hate hospitals, spent too much time there with my sister who had breast cancer.  Treatment, surgery, ultimately her death, so I feel ya about  that. But I was very at ease with Dr. Crookes and trusted him 110% from the start. So that helped alot!
 I wish you the best, on your journey to better health. Keep me posted.
Elizabeth N.
on 12/16/11 4:09 pm - Burlington County, NJ
(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 8:02 pm
My DS was my first major surgery.  It was open, and my recovery from a pain perspective was not nearly as bad as I anticipated.  I was off the strong stuff within the first week.

I did get a hernia - from coughing - had a repair with mesh and it was lap.  My recovery from a pain perspective was far worse for me.

I really think it's what goes on the inside vs. the nature of the way in. 

I would not let open vs. lap be the dealbreaker for a DS.

Sharon
Dudette
on 12/17/11 1:02 am - Edina, MN
I'll chime in re: my lap experience. No gas pain. Super fast recovery. I was able to start exercising and regaining my cardio health almost immediately. I even survived an hour long spinning class at LA Fitness less than 30 days after my surgery. I wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in that class before my surgery. LOL!

Being self-pay I had the luxury, if you want to call it that, of choosing a top surgeon (Ungson/Aceves) who offered the option of getting the procedure done either open or Lap. I liked having that choice and willingly paid a few grand more for the lap procedure.

I realize that due to insurance limitations or inability to travel if necessary, not everyone will have both options available to them. In fact, the only surgeon in my home state qualified to do a DS only does them open. If I was unable to travel, I would have done it with him and had it done open. I definitely would NOT have let that be a deal breaker. Nothing was going to stand in the way of getting my DS once I made up my mind. It was just really nice having the choice.

Rena H.
on 12/17/11 8:56 am - Spokane, WA
I think LAP surgery is harder... I will tell you why:

I have had both by the way.

In my lap surgery I wasn't in tons of pain or anything but after a week i had really sharp pains in my shoulders... The gas they used to expand your abdomen doesn't all escape. So it moves up... For me it was my shoulders and it was an indescribable pain.

Open i wasn't in tons of pain after either... I also didn't have the shocking shoulder pain. 

OPEN is a win for me.

HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150

Jennifer D.
on 12/17/11 10:35 am, edited 12/16/11 10:35 pm
I had my RNY done open and I actually freaked on day 3 when the nurse openned my gown to clean my incision because I hadn't realized it was there. That's how good the pain management was, I had a morphine pump. It did take me about 4 - 5 weeks to get back into the swing of things when I got home, also my pain meds were causing me problems with sleeping and generally existing but I did not realize it at the time. Had it been a different prescription, I may have done better more quickly. I had my revisions done lap and I was back to normal in a couple of days. While this is a plus, it could be harmful if you take on too much too soon.