I hate sipping! *stomps around like a toddler*

orangecrushed
on 12/16/11 3:14 am - Triad, NC
Sipping sucks.  I have used a sippy cup, which was VERY helpful in the hospital to help me keep air out of my gut.  But now, it's not enough liquid.  So, I take bigger drinks, and get air.  Frustrating!  Also, I'm huuuungry!  Protein shakes aren't quelling it, and neither is broth.  I can only have anything that will go through a fine mesh strainer.  Any ideas?

Yes, I'm being very whiny.  I appreciate your help!
Valerie G.
on 12/16/11 3:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Add a little splenda and vanilla to ricotta cheese.  It tastes like the inside of a cannoli and has 7g in each 1/4 cup

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PatXYZ
on 12/16/11 3:35 am
Unsweetened greek yogurt. You can add whatever carb free syrups or NSA jam or just plain splenda to flavour it. What about pudding with added protein powder? If necessary you could slightly thin it out with water or unsweetened almond milk.
teachmid
on 12/16/11 3:43 am - OKC, OK
I remember how hard the sipping was. Hang in there.

I ate very thin oatmeal and tomato soup with melted cheese in it.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

orangecrushed
on 12/16/11 3:49 am - Triad, NC
Thanks y'all!  I'm still in the liquid phase, unfortunately.  I may be able to blend up the ricotta to make it soupy... but I think the greek yogurt will have to wait.

Tomato soup may be worth a try.  I am definitely lactose intolerant.  Found that out the hard way.
Sher Bear Mama
on 12/16/11 4:21 am, edited 12/16/11 4:21 am
 I wish I could help! My doc didn't give me a timeline for progression of foods so I"m just going with what feels ok.  I don't have any problems gulping water so that's how i stay hydrated--the gas seems to just bubble back up into a giant burp.  As far as eating--today I ate my first protein shake since surgery but for lunch I'm having canned WELL COOKED beef stew--the really mushy type.  I've been eating the greek yogurt and when I was at the hospital and still considered on "full liquids" they said that the yogurt was fine.  I'd call/email your doctor and ask about the yogurt.  It's a nice chance of pace.  Also I ate LOADS of apple sauce (by loads I mean about 2 or so tbsp in one sitting which was more than enough to fill me up--again, the doctor said it was fine for post ops.  I'm on to mashed potatoes now but it sits heavy in my gut.

WIshing you luck and cheers!

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

YeahItsCase
on 12/16/11 4:53 am
keep your chin up! I didn't do the sippy cup thing and have had no problem drinking fluids from a bottle/cup etc..I might get air sometimes but it just burps up, no issue.

Tomato soup is great..or any of the cream of chicken type soups too.

Hang in there..it gets better (and I am only a day out more than you I think :-p)

callmeEJ
on 12/16/11 5:08 am - Minneapolis, MN
SF pudding, maybe? No sugar added applesauce? SF popsicles, watered down Cream of Wheat (though that might be pushing it), yogurt w/o chunks.
orangecrushed
on 12/16/11 5:14 am - Triad, NC
Thanks, ladies!  I've got my three week follow up on Monday (basically 1 week out) because I hope to be on soft foods for Christmas.  I'm going to beg and plead to move on to soft foods this coming week.  I think I'll be able to handle it.

I can gulp my water, and I do the burp thing, but sometimes it's pretty painful.  I think I'm going to try a straw.  Protein shakes are bleh.  I did find one I like, but I only had 1 sample of that flavor.

If I could go to soft foods, I think my belly and I would be much happier.  Until then, I'll be trying the tomato soup.  Last night I had some of the soup part of homemade beef stew that my dad made, and MAN was it good! lol  I would've given anything to have one of those mushy carrots and a chunk of potato. :p  I behaved, though!

I'm glad the three of us are having a pretty good recovery so far!  *knock on wood*
honeybadger 11
on 12/16/11 6:07 am - FL
Ive been using a straw since about a 1 1/2 weeks out. I would of used it soon but they really put the fear in ya! ive had NO problems with gas and im able to get more fluids in.

You didnt mention it but since you are lactose intolerant i wouldnt do cream soups. They killed me. I can only do Chobani Greek yogurt, anything else tears me up.

I ate quite a bit of stuff, i just thinned everything down with broth. Egg salad in the blender with mayo, mustard and chicken broth. Refried beans in the blender thinned with chicken broth. Like many others i ate a ton of NSA applesauce. SF chocolate pudding made with lactaid, after it sets thin your serving down with more lactaid (i also add protein powder to it:)

Good Luck Hun!!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com