DS to Rose or lap or sleeve which is best? revison?

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 5:11 pm
On December 15, 2011 at 1:17 PM Pacific Time, brownsugargirl wrote:
Oh yes the  DS worked just statred gaining in the last 5 years .. So maybe I did stretch it out.. I went  from 270 to 185.. now back to 275..
 So, let me see if I understand you correctly. You started out at 380 lbs before your RNY, then after your DS you got down to 185? Is that the lowest weight you got down to? Because at 5 feet 7 inches your normal weight would be around 150 or 155 lbs. Seems to be that you never even got to a normal weight before you started gaining it back. There has to be a reason for that. 

Could it be your diet, as some here has mentioned? Keep track of what you're eating and count your carb intake.

Could it be you have a longer common channel than you should have? Try to get a copy of your records from your DS surgeon. Preferably, I would think, would be your operating report. If you do have a long common channel — and others here can advise you on what is a good channel length — you just might need another surgery.

Or could it be somehow a nutritional thing? Or, like I've suggested, a problem with your thyroid and/or your cortisol levels? If so, get all the appropriate labs done and get the necessary treatment.

Before you consider getting yet another surgery, I would exhaust all other possibilities for your weight gain. The answer is there somewhere. You just need to do some sleuthing.

Lynda
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/15/11 5:50 am
 Dr Ujiki also only does 2 surgeries - the band and RNY.

Sorry to seem so baffled, and only ask more questions rather then helping, but there are only a few surgeons that actually do the complicated RNY to DS revision (and again, he isn't one) but there are many that will revise a RNY to a different kind of RNY. It's easier for them, as they don't have to reassemble the butchered pouch stomach back into a sleeve, only change the intestines a bit. It's also common for those RNY, or ERNY, or extended Rny or whatever, to have gaining issues.

It's also puzzling as the DS is the most bullet proof of any of the surgeries, and changing it to ANY thing else is a downgrade. It IS possible to out eat the DS, but not very common. Do you have your surgical reports? If it were me, I'd go see one of the know surgeons that revise other surgeries to the DS, and have them take a look at you and your records. I'd bet dollars to donuts you have something like Erny, and someone like Rabkin or Kesheshian can likely help you.

brownsugargirl
on 12/15/11 10:55 am - Ambridge, PA
OMG I JUST READ MY NOTES I DID A ERNY  in 2004 and rny  1999 .NOT DSWITCH ..... omg There is hope now..... Thanks again.. 
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/15/11 12:53 pm, edited 12/18/11 6:39 am
Now everything makes more sense. 

It may be a good thing that you actually had ERNY, since you now know you didn't fail with the "platinum standard" of WLS.

The surgeons mentioned before are the only ones you want to deal with at this point, and they have had plenty of experience taking down both types of RNYs and making them DSs. They are the best bets to get you losing again. Good luck.

If this poster has been deleted by OH, it was DS vet Bearmom. If you still need good info and support, you can find it at http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 5:25 pm
On December 15, 2011 at 6:55 PM Pacific Time, brownsugargirl wrote:
OMG I JUST READ MY NOTES I DID A ERNY  in 2004 and rny  1999 .NOT DSWITCH ..... omg There is hope now..... Thanks again.. 
 Oops. I didn't see this post before I responded. Should have read the whole thread first. 

Anyway, well, there's your answer. You didn't have the DS at all. So you will be looking at another revision, right? Ok. You've got some work ahead of you before you take that plunge. You need to educate, educate, educate yourself. Read everything you can get your hands and/or eyeballs on. 

This is a bid deal. I don't know about you, but I have a healthy fear of getting a revision to a DS. I'm still going to do it. But I'm terrified. And I'm leaving nothing to chance. Anything I can do beforehand to ensure success, I'm going to do.

I'm also not able to have my revision yet, which has given me time to study and learn as much as I can. I've not only been trying to learn about the DS itself, but also my own body. So I still stand by what I said about getting your nutrition, thyroid, and cortisol levels checked. You might uncover something that will be crucial to know about. 

Do a lot of hanging out here. Lots to learn and lots of great folks to help.

Lynda
Elizabeth N.
on 12/15/11 7:05 am, edited 12/29/11 6:45 am - Burlington County, NJ

orangecrushed
on 12/15/11 4:50 am - Triad, NC
Well, firstly, you need to provide more info than you are.  And secondly, if you can't stand to look at yourself, why do you keep inserting your photo into your comments?  Kinda strange.

I hope you find what you're looking for, but you should check out dsfacts.com to see how a person with a DS should live, which foods to avoid, how you should always eat proteins first (100+ grams a day), which labs you need drawn regularly, and which vitamins you need to take on a daily basis to stay healthy.

Best of luck to you.
brownsugargirl
on 12/15/11 4:56 am - Ambridge, PA
lol I added my pic because somebody thought i was a spamer and a troll.lololol ..
orangecrushed
on 12/15/11 5:06 am - Triad, NC
Ahh, ok.  Well, your pic is quite pretty.  Perhaps if you cut some carbs and get on a good vitamin regimine, you won't have to go through the pains of surgery again.  Revisions can be tricky, and as was stated earlier, the Rose does not work at all.
brownsugargirl
on 12/15/11 5:22 am - Ambridge, PA
Wow, There is just so much I didnt know when i went to  WL Dr they gave me a list of vitamins  I was amazed .. I was taking all the wrong types wrong  amouts etc.. Who knows how many years its been wrong meds .... Amazing ...