Low Potassium...DS or just an oddity

Its a Secret
on 12/14/11 11:11 am, edited 2/10/12 1:02 am
Removed because OH has chosen to share my posts, upload, journey etc. on Facebook without my permission. Moderation that is unfair and prejudicial.

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 11:19 am
It's part of having a shortened bowel and can be significant early postop.  You need to be on a dedicated daily potassium supplement orally.  

Here's a helpful post:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4310569/PSA-Signs-amp-Symptoms-of-Hypokalemia-Low-Potassium-Level/

Its a Secret
on 12/14/11 11:22 am, edited 1/25/12 8:32 am
Removed because OH has chosen to share my posts, upload, journey etc. on Facebook without my permission.

beth-28
on 12/14/11 11:50 am
On day 3 after surgery (right before he was going to release me) my potassium and calcium dropped suddenly. I went from walking the halls every 2 or so hours to being unable to lift my feet off of the floor! The nurses literally had to lift my feet on and off the bed.

My surgeon came to the hospital at 4am to find out what was wrong. They tested my liver, electrolytes, CT'd my abdomen, and had me do a swallow x-ray test. He found out my potassium and calcium were low (very low). I got 10 bags of potassium and 3 of calcium. After the 8th bag, I was able to walk again!

Keep an eye on yours, I would have never thought that something like that could affect me so much.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 11:53 am
They are bigpills but they dissolve pretty fast.  You'll definitely absorb and benefit from them.  They are infinitely better than over-the-counter potassium gluconate at correcting potassium levels.  You may require an oral potassium prescription for up to 6 months after surgery to prevent symptomatic hypokalemia and prevent frequent ER visits/hospitalizations.  That's a small price to pay for having the DS and it does improve with time!  

Spinach will probably go right thu you and come out looking like it went in.  It's OK to eat as long as it's not taking up precious real estate in your sleeve that could be occupied by protein.  Avocados are high in potassium as well as fat.  Your prescription med is probably your best bet at this point in time.  

Get your potassium level checked frequently.  Strive for a level greater than 4 if you can get it there and maintain it.  Even low-normal levels can cause symptoms like those mentioned in the post I linked to.  

Hang in there!
Its a Secret
on 12/14/11 11:59 am

MajorMom
on 12/14/11 6:14 pm - VA
I hope the potassium Rx is doing the job. I agree with Steve about it happening due the having shortened bowel...I see low potassium hit the folks on the LW board a lot regardless of surgery type.

Feel better!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

KellyJTn
on 12/14/11 10:04 pm - Oak Ridge, TN
Get that potassium up. It can really mess you up!  I got dehydrated really bad a month out from surgery, and was literally unable to walk. They wheeled me into the surgeons office and did some blood work and said my potassium was so low they were surprised I hadn't had a heart attack. It's some serious stuff.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 10:40 pm
Steve's awesome post answers it all. Just wanted to share with you I was low potassium -2.1- right out of the DS gate and was put on 40 mg to start and now maintain 20 mg per day, every day to maintain 4.1 potassium level. It was difficult using the powdered potassium as early out I couldn't swallow the big horse pill. But as time went on, I switched to the horse pill and haven't looked back. That powdered potassium tasted like monkey butt. Ack!
sandyv63
on 12/14/11 10:41 pm - Naples, FL
Oh no, this sounds like me. I was kept in the hospital post op a half a day longer because my potassium dropped. They wouldn't release me until they gave me three potassium pills spaced 3 hours apart. Now I notice a heaviness in my legs when I walk and constant fatigue. I assumed this was just part of the healing process but now I think not. I will email my surgeon for a script. I'm glad you posted this.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi