NO SURGERY FOR ME!

larra
on 12/16/11 10:25 am - bay area, CA
What a pile of crap!
     The longterm success rate for VSG is unknown. Short term results look quite similar to RNY, which has a longterm failure rate of 30%, and that's WITH at least a little malabsorption and some mild metabolic changes that the VSG lacks. Instead of feeling depressed, you should feel angry that this jerk blamed you for the failure of an operation that, I believe, will prove to have a high failure rate.
      And converting a perfectly good sleeve to RNY actually means MORE surgery on your stomach, while converting to the DS requires nothing to be done to your stomach unless you need a re-sleeve...which would again mean that you have lost your restriction, the ONLY means by which VSG works, which is NOT YOUR FAULT.
      Ditch this guy, and ditch him fast. Contact a real DS surgeon, any one of whom would be able to revise you from a sleeve to a DS. And don't ever let anyone kick you around like that, no matter what his job title or credentials. His remarks were both inaccurate and cruel.

Larra
(deactivated member)
on 12/26/11 10:43 am
Brian: My doctor told me the same thing. I have gastric sleeve, and he said that I did not keep up my end of the bargain, that is why I have not lost a lot of weight. I was so upset. He refused to do the DS.

I am looking for another surgeon who will actually listen to me, understand my situation, and recognize that I am committed, I am dedicated, and I am really trying.

Hang in there.

Donna