Any tips for traveling?

beth-28
on 12/15/11 5:06 am
Hubby wants to go to Florida to visit with mom, stepdad, and relatives. It's (at best) a 9 hour drive. I spoke with surgeons office and they ok'd me for travel as long as we stop every 1-2 hours and I walk a couple of laps around the car to stave off DVT's.

Unfortunately that will probably add a few hours to the trip.

So, any tips, tricks, or general advice for such a journey?
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Valerie G.
on 12/15/11 5:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 How are you feeling these days?  If you feel up to socializing and such today, then go ahead and make the trip.  Just take it easy.  If you're still feeling pretty crappy, I wouldn't expect any miracles between now and then.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sandyv63
on 12/15/11 6:30 am - Naples, FL
I suggest 2 plane tickets. It would probably cost the same as gas for that long drive. I'm 5 weeks out today and I can tell you I wouldn't want to do that kind of drive.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
honeybadger 11
on 12/15/11 7:09 am - FL
I did a 9 hr drive 5 days post op. And i had just discovered my lactose intolerance the night before and was on clear fluids from vomit ting. I travel well and was feeling pretty good so the trip was fine for me. 

We stopped every 2-3hrs but while in the car i moved non stop. ankle/calf pumps, wiggling toes, butt squeezes, deep breathing, stretching back side to side, elbow to the back of the car seat, neck stretches. Wear supportive shoes so you ankles dont swell.

Hydrate! Because i was on clears i was drinking G2 and water. Dont forget your protein shakes. Pack a small cooler if you are able to and have cheese, sliced meats, etc. on hand to munch on.

Good luck!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

Dudette
on 12/15/11 9:48 am - Edina, MN
I travelled 1,800 miles in a small two seat sports car from Mexico to the Midwest right after I was released from the hospital five days post-op (over the course of four days). For most people that would be a little extreme... or maybe a LOT extreme. LOL! But that's just how I roll. 

I was the passenger, not the driver (though I could have driven if I wanted to). I did a lot of stretching in the car and stopped whenever I felt like it - usually every few hours. When we stopped I spent the whole time outside of the car and walked as much as possible.

On the fourth day my back got a little stiff... mostly because the car didn't have reclining seats like you probably will if you are driving in a sedan or SUV. I considered my post-op road trip as a great opportunity to get plenty of  exercise. I felt I was more active while on the road than I would have been flying and then sitting around the house for a few days. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

The hardest part was finding places on the road where I could get a hot bowl of broth-based soup since I was still on full liquids. Chicken soup was the only thing I could tolerate at the time. Your diet may be more advanced at this point than mine was.

I couldn't have lived without my gagdets while on the trip. They helped us find food, liquids, pharmacies, gas and suitable places to stop and walk. My gadgets included a GPS, smart phone, laptop with WiFi, iPod (gotta have tunes!) and a DC/AC power inverter to plug-in and charge everything via the car's cigarette lighter.

Oh, and I'd also recommend a barf bag or two (in case you need it) and a few towels.  Have a great trip! 

beth-28
on 12/15/11 10:49 am
"Oh, and I'd also recommend a barf bag or two (in case you need it) and a few towels.  Have a great trip! "

Bwahahaha.....if I barfed in the car (even in a bag) hubby would probably lose it, wreck, and kill us all!  But seriously, I'm still debating it. I'd love to go visit them (I love my in-laws!!) but I am worried about being able to find a restroom when I need it!  No accidents yet, but there have been times when the "urge"came out of nowhere and I needed a restroom right then.

I still have a few days to decide if I want to try it or not. Thanks for the replies!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Dudette
on 12/15/11 2:23 pm, edited 12/15/11 2:26 pm - Edina, MN
I actually never barfed on the big road trip home. The barfing for me started 2 to 3 weeks post-op (about where you are) when I was already back home. At that point I had started introducing soft foods which apparently I wasn't ready for yet.

My husband has seen it all when it comes to me hurling in the car. He's even been in the passenger seat while I'll been driving and I've barfed (usually foamies/mucous... not full out vomit) as I hung my head out the door on the highway in the middle of rush hour traffic. Fun times!  LOL! He's so jaded right now it doesn't even phase him anymore. And that... my dear... is why I keep a towel in my car. So I can clean up "the evidence" in case I have bad aim when hanging my head out the window!

However I can totally appreciate what you are saying about sudden restroom stops. I've been lucky in that regard and have only dealt with unpredicatable BM's twice. Both times coconut milk was involved and I wasn't driving. Thank GOD!

I guess in that case that's where a good, update-to-date GPS could come in handy if you decide to go. My Garmin was a godsend when it came to quickly locating the closest pitstop out in the middle of nowhere.

NoMore B.
on 12/15/11 10:49 am
 You're a much better recover-er than I was if you're able to do that so soon.  I was pretty much a wiped out blob of flesh for the first month.

I would make sure you have plenty of fluids handy, pillows, and ready to eat snacks (like cheese).
goodkel
on 12/16/11 2:48 am
I wouldn't do it.

All that pooping and peeing you'll have to do in nasty gas station restrooms.

And nine hours of road bumps would have been agony.

If you really don't want to miss it and they won't come to you instead:

NO CARBS. Starting the day before your trip.

Cut back on the fat, too.

Avoid everything that loosens your bowels.

Take a pain med so it has kicked in before you hit the road and keep on top of them.

Bring antibacterial wipes to clean public toilet seats.

Carry a pillow in your lap that you can press up against your stomach and/or wear a binder or wrap an Ace bandage around your stomach for support.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"