New Faces and a relationship question

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/11 10:11 pm - Beverly, NJ
 By the end of the week there will be two new faces joining the boards.  One of my best friends and my wife are both looking into the DS.  Although they both have referals to Greenbaum I asked them to please come here and research before they make their appointments.  I'll let them tell their stories when they get here but I cant wait!  I'm so excited for them! 

This is the ultimate in paying it forward.  I've brought them both to my suport groups.  They've both read all my literature as well as listen to me rattle on for hours about the good and bad plus they've both watched my progress so far.  My wife has been by my side through this whole this and played nurse for me while I was healing.  

My question is for the couples who have both had the DS.  How did it effect your relationship?  I know every relationship is different but I'm anxious to see everyones stories.  I'm super excited for my wife.  She needs this so bad.  I'm also excited to be able to share all I've learned.  Any advice?
Jeremy M.
on 12/13/11 10:26 pm - Fishers, IN
 My wife and I had surgery about 3 months apart (her in May of 2010 and me in August of 2010).  We started the journey together, attending the same initial consultation at our surgery center.  For a variety of reasons, she was able to get her surgery scheduled sooner, and that was actually part of our plan.  We studied what the life changes required would be together, developed an eating plan together, developed our plan of attack for protein shakes and vitamins together, and essentially did everything we could to prepare ourselves for the journey.  During the three months between her surgery and mine, I did my best to support her changing needs while trying not to lecture her about what she needed to eat.  After all, she was a grown woman and didn't need someone nagging her.  She was well informed and could make her own choices.  After my surgery, I realized how much of what I thought I knew was wrong.  I ended up having a much quicker and easier recovery than her, and because I'm a man, ended up losing a lot more weight a lot more quickly than her.  The big thing for us was that this was never a competition to see who could lose more weight.  It was a journey we were both going on to make ourselves healthier and to try to give each other many more years to live together.  I wouldn't say the surgery necessarily brought us closer together, but it has certainly made things a little easier than if only one of us would have done it.  We generally know what we each need to do, and can encourage each other to do what's right for our bodies.  Even though I'm much closer to goal at this point, we both remember where we came from and are so grateful for the chance we've been given.  So in short, I don't know that the surgery has changed our relationship much - it's just become another thing we share that brings us close together. 
Jeremy

HW 327 / SW 300 / CW 198 / GW 169

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/11 4:36 am - Beverly, NJ
 Inspiring!  Thank you soo much for sharing!  
Loretta W.
on 12/14/11 2:35 am - Inland Empire, CA
My husband went through a period where he felt insecure after I lost the weight. He even said I am afraid you are going to leave me!
We got through it. 
Best wishes for your wife and your friend!
Loretta

Sheanie
on 12/14/11 3:00 am
30 year marriage here still going strong.  Made an already good marriage even better.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100