on 12/15/11 3:46 am - Lancaster, OH
On December 15, 2011 at 10:14 AM Pacific Time, nosnhojm wrote:
Here are the vitamin guidelines that my Dr. recommends:
* General Multi-Vitamin, taken once daily
* SourceCF fat-soluable vitamin soft-gels, taken 3 times daily
* Calcium 500mg, taken 3 times dailey
* Iron, B12, and potassium only if needed per blood tests

My concerns:
* I thought DSers shouldn't be taking wet vitamins (i.e., SourceCF soft-gels)?
* Iron, B12, and potassium are not initially required; but I thought they are almost always necessary?

Anybody have a link to a good vitamin recommendation regemin?  I didn't see one on dsfacts.com.

Source:
Diet%20Guidebook%20for%20DS.pdf 

Vitamin and mineral supplements
You will need to take extra vitamins and minerals for the rest of  your life. You can buy the vitamins listed here at your local drug store (over the counter). If you have trouble finding them, or if your body cannot handle them, please call the triage nurse at 612-626-4117.

Multi-vitamin with minerals
Choose one:
Children’s chewable
Adult chewable
Adult pill Take the adult dose listed on the label.  
At first you will need to take these in liquid, chewable or crushed form. You will be able to take whole pills after just a few weeks.

Calcium
You must take a calcium supplement. We suggest 500 to 600 mg three times a day (see schedule on next page). Calcium citrate (such as Citracal) is best.

Fat-soluble vitamin (SourceCF chewables)
These contain vitamins that are easy for your body to absorb. You need to take 3 tablets per day (1 with each meal). You may ask your pharmacy to order this, or you can order it yourself. To order SourceCF chewables, call 888-419-8357 or go to www.sourcecf.com.

Other
Some people also need extra iron, vitamin B12 or potassium. We will test your blood often to make sure you are getting enough nutrients. If you need extra supplements, we will let you know.

Sample Schedule:
Breakfast: multi-vitamin with minerals and fat-soluble vitamin
Lunch: fat-soluble vitamin and calcium citrate
Dinner: fat-soluble vitamin and calcium citrate
Bedtime: calcium citrate
So, I'm just making sure I'm getting this straight, based on your second post, you said that it's NOT fat-soluble vitamins?  Because this schedule is calling them that.
nosnhojm
on 12/15/11 4:04 am, edited 12/15/11 4:09 am
 I believe he is using the term "fat soluable" to generically mean vitamins that are absorbed and stored in fats (vitamins A, D, E, & K are fat-soluable by definition), not that the perscribed vitamins are necesarially delivered in a fat solution.
(deactivated member)
on 12/15/11 12:42 pm
Save yourself a lot of grief and go with Vitalady's schedule and then tweak them according to your labs.

Just a FYI:

The least amount of Vitamin D I have ever seen a DSer take is 50,000ius daily.  Many of us take more.

Beta-carotene is worthless as a source of Vitamin A.

1500 mgs of Calcium a day is not enough.

Find out what you need and keep a spreadsheet of your labs, get them done every 3 months and enter them in the spreadsheet so that you can watch if something is getting to high or low.

Learn how to read your own labs because the Dr. will only tell you if it gets out of range, once that happens they are in the toilet.

Learn about labs tests here: www.labtestsonline.org