Talk to me about Iron??

Babydoll25
on 12/14/11 4:27 am - White Lake Township, MI
 Ok I've been gone a VERY long time! Not sure if anyone remembers me... Quick update. I'm About 15 months out from my DS loving life!! Almost reached my goal "shy of 20 lbs* But hey I am also 24 weeks pregnant! 

My OB seemed nearly uninterested in the fact that I had WLS at all let alone that it was the DS. And what that entailed. I had talked to him about more frequent lab draws to no avail with him. Well I just got off the phone with his Office manager who called to inform me my hemoglobin was low and I needed to add a bit of Iron. When I told her How much I already took as a DSer she simply said "I'll have to call you back" 
So I call Dr. Kemmeters office to request a full set of labs which are in the mail as we speak. 

So with out knowing how low is "LOW" I am just waiting. But my question is I have been taking Perfect iron (and a lot of it) As it really is cheap and I didn't mind the extra pills. Up until this point I haven't had any problems. Now I am thinking I may need to switch to Proferrin. I mean honestly "cheap" is ok when it's working. But it obviously is not! So cheap is no longer an option. I was thinking of just ordering this from Vitalady and starting while I wait for my labs. Now it has been awhile since I have looked into all this so if anyone could please help me I'd really appreciate it. Is this something I can have my Dr. prescribe to me? Does insurance even cover it? Or am I just better off getting it from Vita lady?
Any other words of wisdom are always appreciated as always :) Thanks in advance for listening to my babbling! I am very curious to see what the rest of my labs look like if my Iron has tanked in 3 months...
*Heather*                 

Larissa P.
on 12/14/11 4:44 am - Denton, TX
You are correct that Proferrin is your best bet right now.

Vitalady (bless her) has a real tough time keeping it consistantly in stock, so I would order it directly from the manufacturer at www.proferrin.com - they are pretty much the same price as hers and they offer free shipping. It is also faster than her shipping (just a few days).

You can ask for a prescription for Proferrin Forte (which has folic acid added, PERFECT for  the preggo lady!) and see if you can get it cheaper through your insurance.

I would take 2-3 pills a day in your situation. Remember to break them in half (they break really easily just with your fingers) before swallowing, to bypass the coating that doesn't break down very well in our systems. They are completely tasteless, you don't have to worry about it being icky. Hell, I've chewed them with no problem. No constipation, you don't have to take them with Vitamin C or even better - you don't have to take them away from calcium or anything else!
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Babydoll25
on 12/14/11 4:47 am - White Lake Township, MI
 Dang don't have to take away from calcium?! Awesome! Thank you for your quick response! I'll give the Doc a call back and see if he can prescribe that to me and see what insurance has to say about that!
*Heather*                 

newyorkbitch
on 12/14/11 7:15 am
 If your OB doesn't cooperate and immediately,  go see a hematologist.  You may need iron infusions and you sould not wait.
teachmid
on 12/14/11 7:30 am - OKC, OK
My insurance covers Proferrin forte.

-Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Babydoll25
on 12/15/11 8:08 am - White Lake Township, MI
*Heather*