ACP study shows high complications for DS?

nosnhojm
on 12/13/11 6:26 am
Anyone discuss this article yet?

www.annals.org/content/155/5/281.full.pdf+html 
nosnhojm
on 12/13/11 6:30 am
In this study, three of the 29 duodenal switch patients developed protein malnutrition, two developed night blindness, and one had a severe iron deficiency that needed to be treated with iron infusions.

So were these patients educated about taking the necessary vitamins?  Or are these complications in spite of that?
Elizabeth N.
on 12/13/11 12:05 pm, edited 12/28/11 9:51 am - Burlington County, NJ

Its a Secret
on 12/13/11 6:41 am
I can't get to the full text so I can't comment...I'll try again later :)

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/13/11 6:51 am
" All participants were prescribed daily supplements of multivitamins, 100 mg of iron sulfate, 1000 mg of calcium carbonate, and 20 mcg of vitamin D3. In addition, participants in the gastric bypass group received a vitamin B12 substitute"

Really? That's IT? What I think is a more relevant question is how did they not kill any of those DSers with malnutrition with such a clueless supplement regime.

PatXYZ
on 12/13/11 8:58 am
Seriously. It makes me wonder what the labs looked like for the 23 that were 'ok'. Someone should email the study authors the Vitalady regimen.
larra
on 12/13/11 11:40 am - bay area, CA
Oh yeah, we've seen this one. Surgeons admitted they were new to the DS. Numbers were small. Nutritional advice was totally inadequate, not even the right form of calcium, let alone right amounts of anything.
     Results totally predictable based on lack of experience and poor supplementation.

Larra
Elizabeth N.
on 12/13/11 12:07 pm, edited 12/28/11 9:52 am - Burlington County, NJ

Paula R.
on 12/13/11 12:13 pm - Portland, OR
Some things I noticed off the top.  They only interviewed 60 participants....31 RNY and 29 DS.  Compared to the number of both surgeries done every year, this seemed to be a pretty small sample size to draw any inferences from in my honest opinion.  They also seemed to estimate the number of participants needed for their study based on the number of SMO bariatric surgeries done at only one hospital.  Id like to see a study conducted in the same manner with a larger sample size of people before Id get too worked up over what they had to say. 

Second thing I noticed.  While they did mention the supplementation and nutrition followup that was supposed to address supplement adherence, the only one who was going to know 100% for sure whether the person complied with the supplementation schedule was the person doing the reporting...not the dietician.   

Really dont think this particular study came up with anything startling at all.  Its not like we arent all informed from the start that the potential for deficiencies are there.      

My signature is in the witness protection program