Sippy Cup Recomendations

M. Miller
on 12/13/11 12:28 pm
 Several of you have chimed in and recommended using sippy cups early post op to help with gas issues etc.....do you have a particular type...stage...gosh there are so many out there.  Friend just had VSG and she is having sipping issues and I recommended this but then she baraged me with questions I cannot answer.

Thanks
J J the Jet Plane
on 12/13/11 12:31 pm
I did not use one but I would assume one you didn't have to suck out of, one that just pours out slowly.

Some people also use a shot glass to drink slower.  Limited to one ounce a shot glass is a great way to get in fluids at a slow and steady pace. 

Maybe others will come by and offer better advice. 

Good luck
JJ
M. Miller
on 12/13/11 12:41 pm
 She tried the shot glass...not so good..

pktwatch
on 12/13/11 12:45 pm
The sippy cups that I use you do have to suck the drink out of the cup. There is no vent hole......

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

M. Miller
on 12/13/11 12:47 pm
 I di dnot even know you could still get those....hmmm...do you know the brand name?
pktwatch
on 12/13/11 9:05 pm
On December 13, 2011 at 8:47 PM Pacific Time, M. Miller wrote:
 I di dnot even know you could still get those....hmmm...do you know the brand name?
They are Sip-A-Trainer made by Arrow Plastic. I was given a couple of them from the hospital but do not know where you can buy them, they look just like the ones our kids had 35-40 years ago!

I have bought a couple of others that are slightly larger but they do let air in the cup through a vent hole. I think the sealed ones are what is needed for a new stomach.

Here is a link to what they look like:

http://www.arrowplastic.com/store/catalog.asp?item=164

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

KarenFlorida
on 12/13/11 12:47 pm - Orlando, FL
I didn't use a sippy cup after surgery, but I do have a toddler! I would say an adult would probably do better with a cup designed for toddlers/older babies...hard plastic lid as opposed to the soft squishy kind. I think the earlier stage soft ones are designed for the baby to suck on...as JJ mentioned, because the younger babies are transitioning from a bottle. Sucking would probably give her gas.

Also, I have learned to look for sippy cups with fewer parts (there are separate pieces on the inside too) because they are easier to wash. There are very simple disposable sippy cups out there, just a cup and a lid with spout, that might work well, actually.

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

J G.
on 12/13/11 12:48 pm
Sher Bear Mama
on 12/13/11 1:02 pm, edited 12/13/11 1:02 am
I have a 21 month old baby and I find her sippies allow too much air to get in. I bought a water bottle by Camelbak that you don't actually "suck" out of--but you bite the rubber nipple and gently suck and water comes out. It's TERRIFIC. Here is a link to it.

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Bottles.aspx

I love it. Good luck.
S
p.s. my 21 month old loves it too. ANd it doesn't leak.
Sher--the bear mama

callmeEJ
on 12/13/11 11:39 pm - Minneapolis, MN
I use the CamelBak Better Bottles still, even a year after my surgery. Great way to get in my protein shakes and water, and all the parts can go in the dishwasher.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011