Dehydration troubles again

J J the Jet Plane
on 12/13/11 12:27 pm
This started last week when I ate chili that did not sit well.  I had loose stools but then as the week progressed I moved into water leaving the body as extremely loose stools.  I have taken a probiotic and anti dh medication and I am struggling.

I realize when I do not want to eat that I need more fluids so Ive been drinking but everything leaves the body.  I can tell you I only urinate one time a day the rest of the liquid is going the other way.  My PCP ordered a blood test and it says I am not dehydrated yet.  So the ER will not help me here. 

I have been drinking over 100 oz a day and I feel like Im slipping into dehydration. I am also getting weak and very tired.  I am on vitalady's plan.  I do have trouble until about noon and then I am normal again, I can drink again and not be running to the bathroom until about 7 pm.  Usually I am only in the bathroom in the morning unless white flour/or splenda get me in there in the evening.

Luckily for me I will be in my surgeon's neck of the woods this weekend so if it gets any worse I will be close by to their ER.  Anyone have suggestions to help me stay out of this problem again?
Thanks
JJ
beth-28
on 12/13/11 12:35 pm, edited 12/13/11 12:36 pm
Hi JJ,

Sorry I have no words of wisdom for you, but I hope you feel better soon!

edited for spelling
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

J G.
on 12/13/11 12:53 pm, edited 12/13/11 1:13 am
JJ, I'm a little confused... are you saying that you are having diarrhea, but only in the morning?
J J the Jet Plane
on 12/13/11 1:32 pm
In the morning for hours- usually 3 times in the middle of the night and then from 630- to about 11 am every thirty minutes.  But it is all liquid.  Then I get a reprieve in the middle of the day and have no episodes and then again in the evening for a few hours. 

Tonight I have not had any problems but every other day I have been running back and forth to the bathroom for 2-3 hours in the evening. 

I understand Liquid in Liquid out- but when I am having a hard time eating for me it usually means I need to up my liquid intake.  The only carbs I have had for the last 3 days have come from shakes or the few I gather in fat. Mostly protein but I am struggling to eat and the smell of food is making me nauseated.

I was hospitalized for four days before for dehydration and I am trying to keep myself from going there again.

J G.
on 12/13/11 3:00 pm, edited 12/13/11 3:06 pm
Oh heck no.  Don't reduce your liquids just because you are having diarrhea.  The opposite - increase your fluids.

Next step is to figure out what is causing the diarrhea.   Lactose?  Artificial sweeteners?    Tell us what foods you are eating.

Try taking some extra calcium citrate.  Gradually add in some fiber. Look for one that says it doesn't cause gas.   Chris suggested chia seeds.

Perhaps some ginger tea would help with the nausea.  Wondering how your potassium is....

Here's a recipe for homemade "gatorade"

• 1/2 packet any flavor of unsweetened Kool-Aid

• 4-5 tablespoons sugar

• 1/8 and 1/16 teaspoon of salt

• 1/16 teaspoon salt substitute that contains potassium chloride

• 1 litre of water

Valerie G.
on 12/15/11 2:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I get much better results with probiotics in food instead of pill form.  Are you getting much yogurt in?  I really like kefir, too, which is packed with probiotic value.  

Another idea may be lactose intolerance.  I get a similar reaction when drinking straight milk, however things like yogurt and cheese are not a problem.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Crazeru
on 12/13/11 1:05 pm
You might want to try Chia Seeds 3-4x/day - 1T or so.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

nightowl
on 12/13/11 5:17 pm - Topeka, KS

Well, shoot.  I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you face. 
This probably isn't what you have, but I had a GI illness in June, and my stool sample was positive for campylobacter (or it's antibodies).  I'm guessing there may have been more than that going on, but, after that lab result, my PCP's nurse practitioner gave me an Rx for a 3-day Z-pac (?sp) (?azithromycin), which cleared it right up.  I also added in a Pearls probiotic, and I don't know how much that helped, if it did also.
(I also got an interesting phone call from my county health dept., at my unlisted cell phone number that I didn't give them, but the private lab had to report to them my positive campylobacter result, so they can track if an outbreak or epidemic hits.)

fullhousemom
on 12/13/11 9:34 pm
My doctor likes his patients to eat red meat every day.  I purchased a beef tenderloin from Sams Club (similar to Cost****ut it up into individual steaks, and sealed them individually.  I try and have a steak every day.  I have it for dinner one night, and the the other half for lunch.

It has made a huge difference in my bowel movements.  They are not loose, I am not crampy, and I feel pretty normal now.  All protein, no fiber, and very little fat.  I also eat a lot of cheese throughout the day.....mozarella cheese sticks, babybell, etc.

I have learned that my worse moments, like you have mentioned, are a direct result of what I am eating.  Sugar alcohols and too much milk plays havoc on me.  Keep drinking lots of water!
(deactivated member)
on 12/13/11 10:32 pm
You might need to be tested for C-diff or other bacterial infections of the gut.

What are the ingredients of your protein shakes? 

Continue to drink as much as you can and see your Dr.

Michele
Most Active