? for those that travelled outside the states

Huneypie
on 12/15/11 1:22 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
On December 13, 2011 at 8:28 PM Pacific Time, LovableLynn wrote:
Just to add my 2 cents worth for Dr. Gagner.

For the past year, Dr. Gagner has been also working in Qatar. He is 1 month here and 1 month in Canada. I just can't imagine how he does it but I am so greatful that he has managed it.

I was very blessed to have him as my surgeon and.... hold on to your seats... the cost of my revision from band to DS here in Qatar was only 5300 Qatari Riyals (approx $1500 US)

Wishing you all the best on your journey

Lynn
Hi Lynn, did you miss a zero on the dollar price you quoted?
LovableLynn
on 12/15/11 2:23 am - Qatar
Nope.... no zero was missed... I actually paid fifteen hundred dollars.... $ 1 500..... It was a definite steal :-)

HW 175 KG (385 lbs) - then banded in 2008 - DS journey HW 146 KG (322 lbs)

CW 81 KG (179 lbs) - GW 79.5 KG (175 lbs)

Huneypie
on 12/15/11 2:59 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
On December 15, 2011 at 10:23 AM Pacific Time, LovableLynn wrote:
Nope.... no zero was missed... I actually paid fifteen hundred dollars.... $ 1 500..... It was a definite steal :-)
Wow, that's amazing. Get ready for the stampede to Qatar then! ;-)
LovableLynn
on 12/15/11 3:09 am - Qatar
Unfortunately, the waiting list is so long that many people here get discouraged and give up before they even have surgery. Because Dr. G is only here every 2nd month they are loaded up like crazy. Then with the fact that the hospital is so small we have to deal with the fact that surgeries are often cancelled because there are no beds available. Mine was cancelled twice.

Huneypie
on 12/15/11 3:20 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I knew it was too good to be true!! :-)  Do you know why's it so cheap - is it down the hospital component?  I'm sure Dr G would want more if he's traveling to operate.
LovableLynn
on 12/15/11 1:57 pm - Qatar
I am not sure why it is so cheap to the patients but I am sure that Dr. G is being well caompensated otherwise I do not see why he would come at all. The month before I had my surgery the price was double because Dr. G was classified as a visiting surgeon but it was reduced the minute he became a resident staff.

By the way, plastics are much cheaper here too. 6 years ago, I had my panni removed for only 4500 Qatari Riyal ($ 1 200 US). I have my referral to book with plastics now just to get a recent cost for everything I will want and need time around.

Loretta W.
on 12/14/11 2:47 am - Inland Empire, CA
November of 09
Dr. Ungson in Hermosillo, Mexico
13K all inclusive (almost) except airfare
I do not know the current price

Oh it was 13K for Open, and 16K for Lap

I love Dr. Ungson and his staff

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 3:25 am
 I found his English language website thanks to Google. The prices on his website match what you have listed.  I just have a unknown fear about travelling outside the states for surgery. I know that logically, Dr. Ungson's stats are on par with top US surgeons. Complications happen regardlessof geography, even with experienced doctors.  I need to work through that fear becore makinga decision. Actually despite having emergancy gall bladder removal, I still am terrified of surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 8:42 am
 I had surgery with Dr. Unsgon in Mexico, I loved him and his team and would recommend him to anyone. 

I went to him in June 2011 and paid about $16,000 USD for the entire trip. I chose to have an open surgery which put the cost of surgery at $13,000, to have it lap it would have been $16,000.

If you end up going anywhere outside of the States PLEASE get travel insurance that would cover any complications. And no matter where you go TAKE someone with you.

On my 9th day post-op, the day before I was scheduled to go home, I was rushed back to the hospital after passing out in my hotel room. Luckily I brought my roommate to Mexico with me and once I passed out he immediately called the doctors. I'm not sure how long I was out for but when I started coming around it was only a couple minutes before the first doctor showed up. He took my blood pressure and it was 60/20. He immediately called Dr. Ungson at the hosptail to let him know that I would be coming in right away and then he called an ambulance. Not long after the second and third doctor showed up from Ungson's team and then the ambulance was there. 

I was taken to the hospital and Dr. Ungson and the rest of his team were waiting for me and started working on me the moment I was wheeled in. I had about 5 people trying to get an IV started on me but my veins weren't cooperating so they put in a central line. Then I had an ultrasound as Dr. Ungson suspected there was a bleed somewhere. I did my best to help explain how I felt before I passed out and how I was feeling then to help pin point the problem. The ultrasound didn't show anything so I was sent off for a CT Scan which showed I was bleeding into my abdomen. I was rushed into surgery and had lost 3 litres of blood. It turns out an artry near my pancreas burst.

How the hell that happened I have no clue, nor do the doctors. They have never seen anything like that before and to have it 9 days post-op boggled them. 

What I went through is NOT common. I'm just glad I had an experienced team to handle it, a roommate that acted quickly and travel insurance to cover the additional hospital stay (which was $10,000 USD). Dr. Ungson does not charge patients for complications but the hospital does for the rooms. Had I not had my roommate with me, I would have died.

I would do it all over again for my DS with Dr. Ungson. He is an amazing surgeon and he has a wonderful team.
lauralisi
on 12/14/11 11:24 am - Dona Ana, NM