? for those that travelled outside the states

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/11 4:59 am - Saint Louis, MO
Dr Gagner bounces around a LOT.  He has left quite a few people high and dry by moving while they were trying to plan their surgeries.  There's a reason why he's not on dsfacts.com.  I hate to say it, but based on his track record he won't be in Canada anymore by the time you are ready.

Please don't go to anyone other than Dr Ungson if you're considering a surgeon in Mexico.  There are horror stories on this forum concerning the other guys.
(deactivated member)
on 12/13/11 6:39 am, edited 12/12/11 6:40 pm
Interesting to know that he may be unreliable. In terms of doctors in Mexico, I worked my way through a profile today that was in response to a similiar topic on the main board.Please be assured that if the MD is not on dsfacts,I won't consider. I would rather wait couple of years to save up the funds rather than roling the dice. Those horror stories are bad.

edited to fix spelling errors.
KarenFlorida
on 12/13/11 11:04 am - Orlando, FL
Dr Gagner is on DSFacts.com. I have not found him to be unreliable, but as I said in another post, I am relatively new to this forum so I can't base this on long-term experience. I had surgery with him 6 months ago and everything was great.

The best way to reach him is by email: [email protected]

He charges $18,500 Canadian dollars for laparoscopic virgin DS. With travel expenses, it might be comparable or even cheaper to use Dr Stewart (not sure where you live)

You can PM me is you have any questions about Dr G

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 3:13 am
 I will send youa PM.  

I know that in 2001, there were posts asking where he was on another board. At the time, he may have been unreliable.  However, that was ten years ago. I know that I have had periods of my ife when some could accuse me of the same. Anyone can turn it arround and change that perspecive through taking accountability and changing how they interact.I willadd him ro myresearch list and see if he has been in one place for an extended time. I get nervous when doctors move around a lot.
KarenFlorida
on 12/13/11 10:57 am, edited 12/13/11 12:32 pm - Orlando, FL
Dr Gagner actually is on DSFacts.com

I can't comment on his moving around because that was before my time here on OH, but I was very happy with my surgery in Montreal 6 months ago, and he has been very accessible to me by email whenever I need it, both preop and postop.

Karen

ETA: are you confusing him with Dr H, who WAS removed from DSFacts.com?
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

yorkieGal
on 12/12/11 11:08 pm - Clermont, FL
Hey Hon,

I went to Spain but honestly I can;t remember the final cost. Dr Baltasar is a complete sweetheart, super professional and actually taught some of the Brazil & Mixico surgeons how to perform the DS.
However, you are right about the crappy $ to Euro conversion, although it has improved over the last few months.

As for complications, I had some problems early out but then went home after 3 weeks. Got back to Florida and from February to august was fine, then had a huge temp spike, abdominal pain and had a huge abcess in my abdomen that had been caused by a slow leak since my original surgery. I had to have this fixed at huge expense here in the US and ended up going back to the Uk to finish treatment. I'm fine now but it was scary at the time.

btw - as a US citizen, if you were in Spain and had to be admitted to the general hospital as I did, it would cost you. For me, as I'm a Bitish citizen I was covered under european health care.

Wishing you all the best on your journey

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

LadyDi9080
on 12/13/11 1:55 am - Tallahassee, FL
I would do it every year if I had to! I went to Brazil- Dr. Marchesini and had a great time and a wonderful experience. (Except for that 1st day out of the hospital when everyone says "what have I done"? I just needed some sleep and rest!)

I had no complications but one of the people that I met there did. She had a leak and had it taken care of in Tennessee and would do it again with the same doctor. However, some may not have been so lucky. I had the best medical care, the best nurses and a very clean environment. I also had a good vacation because Dr. M requires you to stay 2 weeks after your surgery.

I priced self pay in Georgia but could not get the hospital to give me a rate or price. I had limited funds. My surgery (travel, hotel, gifts and all) was about $12,500. Less than the price of a used car. I am worth it! Good luck to you in your decision making process.

Dianne from FL

SW / GW / CW  5'10"
306 / 165 / 140
With the DS: there is no stoma, so no stoma strictures; there are no limitations (other than volume) against drinking before, during or after meals; 80% of ingested fat is malabsorbed; 98.9% of type II diabetics are CURED of this devastating disease, with data showing stable cure over 10 years out; there is the best average weight loss and most durable (average 76% excess weight loss going out 10 years) of all of the bariatric surgeries.  That's why I had a DS!

Dudette
on 12/13/11 10:22 am, edited 12/13/11 10:24 am - Edina, MN
I went to Mexico less than 3 mos. ago for my DS. Other than a tempermental stomach that feels three sizes too small on some days (who doesn't have that after this surgery?)...  I recovered very quickly, have had no complications and would DEFINITELY do it again.

I have a vetted local DS surgeon all lined up for my post-op care and bloodwork. However, I am seriously considering an early spring break jaunt back down to Mexico in a few months to follow up with my surgeon since I liked him and his staff so much.

Re: Complications
My surgeon kept me in the hospital 5 days (6 if you count the fact I slept there the night before surgery). Some of his VSG patients got to spend a few days in a nice hotel post-op... but not me. Because of the DS he wanted me in the hospital the whole time I was there so any complications could be caught early and treated quickly. But, there were none. Everything went perfectly. I was SO ready to bust out of there when I was finally released from the hospital!

The guy I went to wasn't the cheapest nor the most expensive in Mexico. In fact, I actually had two surgeons who worked together as a team for my DS. One is listed on my profile (on the left). The other was Dr. Ungson. :-) Plan to spend between $13,000 and $17,000 for a virgin DS done lap. Getting it done open is a few grand cheaper, but I preferred the lap route. These are current prices within the past 90 days or so.

I also got some much needed dental work done while I was in Mexico by a terrific dental practice. I had a bad tooth and had several other teeth that needed some serious work. I didn't want any bacteria AT ALL in my system when I had my surgery, so the dental work was a major priority for me. I saved a small fortune getting my dental done in Mexico. Also a win.

My total budget for my surgery, pre-surgery dental, travel expenses, medications, food, supplements, etc. was right around $20 grand. I was gone from home for three weeks and lived high on the hog the whole time. I even came home with excess funds. All in all, I had a great experience in Mexico.

Hope this info is helpful.

LovableLynn
on 12/13/11 12:28 pm - Qatar
Just to add my 2 cents worth for Dr. Gagner.

For the past year, Dr. Gagner has been also working in Qatar. He is 1 month here and 1 month in Canada. I just can't imagine how he does it but I am so greatful that he has managed it.

I was very blessed to have him as my surgeon and.... hold on to your seats... the cost of my revision from band to DS here in Qatar was only 5300 Qatari Riyals (approx $1500 US)

Lynn

HW 175 KG (385 lbs) - then banded in 2008 - DS journey HW 146 KG (322 lbs)

CW 81 KG (179 lbs) - GW 79.5 KG (175 lbs)

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 3:19 am
On December 13, 2011 at 8:28 PM Pacific Time, LovableLynn wrote:
Just to add my 2 cents worth for Dr. Gagner.

For the past year, Dr. Gagner has been also working in Qatar. He is 1 month here and 1 month in Canada. I just can't imagine how he does it but I am so greatful that he has managed it.

I was very blessed to have him as my surgeon and.... hold on to your seats... the cost of my revision from band to DS here in Qatar was only 5300 Qatari Riyals (approx $1500 US)

Lynn
 wow, that is a long way to travel to perform surgery. I am glad that you had access to him.