Why gluten free?

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 1:54 pm - Bellevue, WA
I am looking for experiences of people who have gone "gluten free."  Why did you do so and what are/were your results?

Thanks in advance! 
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/12/11 3:57 pm
I'm wondering too. I have tried a bit with gluten free only because my hubby is gluten sensitive, but it makes no difference with gas or anything else with my DS guts. 

Some of the things I make are intentionally low carb, and that can end up being gluten free, since it often means I take out the wheat flour and replace it with something else. I'm curious to see if you get any responses where someone knows a benefit to us by avoiding gluten.
beemerbeeper
on 12/13/11 12:38 am - AL
I did it because I was forced to.  The pain of bloating up like a whale (I looked 12 months pregnant) and it HURTS... and then the peel the paint off the walls gas....

I really had no choice.

~Becky

pauliegirl69
on 12/13/11 1:36 am - NJ
Me to..I feel less boated if I eat gluten free items instead of regular. Its expensive though..look for sales.
LadyDi9080
on 12/13/11 1:48 am - Tallahassee, FL
I am NOT gluten free but have a friend that is because if Tenitis. There are great cooking blogs for gluten free recipes.
(deactivated member)
on 12/13/11 10:37 am - Bellevue, WA
 Gluten free helps with Tenitis?  I'm going to go look that up right now.  Thanks.

gak
on 12/13/11 11:54 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 I know some people who have had to go gluten free for gas reasons etc. I tried it to see what the difference was and I do FEEL better when I stick to gluten free foods. I thought it was a fluke and we were out to eat this past week and I was miserable ! Now back to normal, almost no gas or bloating when I follow it. I suppose that means I need to listen to my body more closely !  I am trying hard to do this and it's hard with all the holiday happenings we attend. 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

J P.
on 12/13/11 12:22 pm, edited 12/13/11 12:26 pm
At least for me, gluten and wheat cause bloating, gas pains, and intestinal/stomach pains.  I don't have to be completely gluten free to see the benefits -- one piece of low carb toast in a day will not kill me -- but regular bread, pasta, crackers, etc will do me in!  I've been watching this closely for about 5 months and then had a handful of Christmas cookies over the weekend - OMG the pain and bloat was horrible and it took 2 days for it to "clear out" (pun totally intended!)

An unintended side effect of going gluten free is that it leads to a lower carb diet as well since it's a bigger hassle to find/make gf breads & desserts.  I credit  the change in diet to a 10+ pound drop in my weight. 

~Jessica                                                   SW 271/ CW 131 / GW 145       

Come hang out with the Indianapolis
DS group -- calendar of events now online!
zuzupetals2u2
on 12/13/11 1:44 pm - Sedona, AZ
I thought gluten free was for celiac disease which is like a yeast allergy? Is that tenetis meaning ringing in the ears it also helps? just curious. .  .

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh