A DSer's "Routine"

seekingsusan
on 12/12/11 1:40 am - Livermore, CA
DS on 05/24/12
Hello,

You might also want to think about getting labs done Pre-op. It makes sense to be in the best possible condition to help the recovery process. Tracking how the results may be trending can help significantly.  This surgery is demanding and with the help of the Vets on this board  you may have a better time of it.

Signed,
A Very Thankful, Still Learning Pre-Op

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 2:03 am - Woodbridge, VA
I take supplements 4 times a day. 3 of those include calcium and one includes iron (can't take them both at the same time).

Like others, I don't have a food routine. Sometimes, I only eat 3 times a day, and sometimes, it's more like 6-7 times. Some days I'm hungrier than others, and some days, I don't want to be bothered with food.

Earlier out, I will say I had more of a routine. I would start my day with a protein shake (easy to drink in the car on my way to work!), then a snack mid-morning, lunch, another snack mid-afternoon, dinner, and a snack in the evening. Sometimes one of my "snacks" would be a second protein shake. I always focused on protein first and keeping carbs low. Many meals would end up being just the main part (protein) with no sides because I just didn't have room for those extras, and protein was my priority.

Of course, now that I'm pregnant, all bets are off   :P
Valerie G.
on 12/12/11 3:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I start at 6am, and take supplements every hour and a half until around lunchtime.  I eat whenever I can, not having many opportunities to sit down to a respectable meal.  My husband says I "eat like a bird" ....... a little at a time, all the darn time.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

LadyDi9080
on 12/13/11 2:11 am - Tallahassee, FL
Valerie,
Your new photo is beautiful! Good to see you still hanging aroud here!

Dianne from FL
cartwrightna
on 12/12/11 10:21 am
 This is probably one is probably one of the things I'm most nervous about: Making sure I get the right suplements etc...

Question - How many of you were on medications that required a regiement such as the ones described below? If you were not, how long did it take you to "get in the hang of it"? I'm so impressed with everyone here and the amount of strength displayed.

Also - I know Vitalady seems to be pretty popular but what about things such as this:https://www1.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog/list/S4/DS (the multi-vit drink mix). I think if I could eas that in to my day it would help - esspecially in the middle of the day.
Elizabeth N.
on 12/12/11 10:29 am, edited 12/28/11 9:01 am - Burlington County, NJ

AmandaID
on 12/12/11 12:13 pm - Shoshone, ID
 I take a handful of vitamins/minerals in the morning, a handful with lunch, and a handful at bedtime. Sometimes I add in another dose at dinner if I remember. I'm six years out and my labs are good.

In regards to eating, I focus on protein and limit my carbs. I have a scramble almost daily for breakfast (an egg, cheese, and different meats/veggies depending on the day), as it gives me a protein boost early and keeps me full until lunch, because I'm a teacher and don't have time to eat mid-morning. Breakfast is the only food that is routine, though; everything else varies widely! 

I occasionally will have a protein drink if I'm not hungry or haven't gotten enough protein that day through food alone (I try to remember to track myself on myfitnesspal.com).

Enjoy the research! Learn a lot! The more you know going in, the more successful you'll be coming out!

Amanda in ID
DS ~ Dec. 7, 2005, with Dr. Marchesini in Curitiba, Brazil
sw289/lw135/gw137/cw150
PS ~ June 6 & 19, 2008, with Dr. Kuster, Vila Velha, Brazil
check out my website at http://myweb.cableone.net/aeller5/DS/default.htm