Life Support, Who's?

feeder3565
on 12/11/11 2:40 pm
Are you ready. Newbies, post-ops can you be packed and ready to go at the drop of a coin? Be at home and survive a storm with no water, heat, or electric? We must all do what we can as DSers to make our life and those that surround us easier. When we are organized and well prepared with our vitamins, and protein we feel safe and reassured. When we don't have these items around us it can make  one more nervous, anxiety, etc.

I got a call from my daughter, her newborn was being sent to Riley Hospital for Children. She was in shock. At that moment I knew I needed to be there for her and the baby, but no way this was going to happen if I didn't take care of my own needs. I was prepared. Packed and ready to go in 15 minutes. All vitamins, protein powder, and shaker. Spent 3 days in neonatal. I held baby Hope for 3 days and nights, only leaving to take vits. and drink a shake. I always up my mag. because not getting the fat intake at times like these. When Hope passed, I knew my work was just begging with my daughter and her grief. No excuse for me not to drink the protein shakes, just gage them down. I do not want to eat, so I don't. But I do take these Dam shakes that I now have a love hate relationship with. 

Baby Hope was on Life support for 3 days. I have the rest of my life to live and it seems that these protein shakes that I have never liked from day one of my DS have kept me alive. If it was not for them many times I would have been on TPN.  Can not repeat myself enough, we may not like these shakes, but we do have to use them when we can not eat. Sick, surgery, depressed, etc. Just get into a automatic routine of shakes and vitamins to get you through the hard times. Done deal. Don't have to like them, just do it.  Enough said. Karen

seekingsusan
on 12/11/11 3:03 pm - Livermore, CA
DS on 05/24/12
Karen,

This post came at the exact perfect time for me, so Thank You. I'm am so sorry to hear about Hope.
CyberHugs to You
I've experienced more grief than I would wish on anyone and was at the point in researching DS surgery where I wondered if I could REALLY make it work after the fact. I've been there when family members have been post-op and seen first hand the trials and effort it takes to get to a "new normal" (with grief and with DS recovery). When I'm being honest with myself, I know that I don't always take the best care of myself, (where food is concerned) I don't always 'enjoy' eating, sometimes it's just a chore to cook for myself. Other times, I'm able to plan and prepare ahead and be "on it" for weeks at a time. So to hear that shakes can make do in those times eases my brain a bit. I'm also a bit of a fast food junkie (during those not caring for myself times) but I've got those times planned out because I LOVE BEEF and can easily get Cheeseburgers with no bun and feel like I'm taking care of myself. (where it doesn't feel that way pre-op). Vitamins I am  sure I can do with the help of the Vitamin Center (30 day). I already do my medications this way and it's easy for me. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing.

oh, btw, what does TPN stand for?

Hugs again,
S~
provolisa
on 12/11/11 4:28 pm - Provo, UT
TPN is Total Parenteral (through your veins) Nutrition. It is being fed through an IV tube, instead of an NG (nasogastric) tube to your stomach through your nose.

Karen, I am so sad for your loss of Baby Hope. My heart goes out to you and your family in this time of grief. You are in my prayers.

Thank- you so much for sharing. This is a good warning and story of victory. As a new DSer, I will remember your example, and make sure I always have access to my supplements and adequate protein, and USE them, no matter how difficult it may seem.

Thank-you for your post.

~Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

Blank Out
on 12/11/11 10:08 pm
 I am just so sorry!  Your daughter is very blessed to have a mom like you.  I pray for all of you to find peace in this process somehow.  I cannot imagine your pain...

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

adkmtngirl
on 12/11/11 11:24 pm - Brant Lake, NY
 I am so sorry for your loss Karen. My heart is breaking for your daughter and entire family. You are such an amazing woman, strong for your family and making sure to take care of yourself. ((((HUGS)))) 
Kristina

beemerbeeper
on 12/11/11 11:44 pm - AL
Karen there are no words.  I am profoundly sorry for your loss and for the pain your family is going though.

That you took time to share with newbies here how important it is for them to take care of themselves ALL the time, not just when it is convenient is such a blessing.

I will be thinking of you.

~Becky

determineddanni
on 12/12/11 12:00 am

I am so sorry for your loss. (((((hugs))))) I hope your daughter can stay strong, it sounds like she is getting solid support from you already. I am sending you all my love.

I like the reminder you give us here. I am a pre-op with only a week out and I realized the severity of what is about to happen. It struck me by lightning when I was driving to work. If I were stranded somewhere I would eventually die of malnutrition. Even though lets say I could provide various food and water... not having my vitamins alone would eventually get me. When that set in... I realized I always need to plan ahead and for the worst.

It is a bit unnerving that our bodies with food and water can no longer sustain themselves. We need various nutrional needs to keep our bodies going. I am a very big stickler for planning but I have the tendancy not to take care of myself sometimes. I should seek counseling for that but in the mean time, I want to thank you for reminding us all. No matter what is going on we need to take that extra time and take care of ourselves.

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

larra
on 12/12/11 12:28 am - bay area, CA
My sympathies to you and your family on this terrible loss.

Thank you for sharing Hope's story with us, and for reminding us that we CAN and must take care of ourselbes even in the worst of times.

Larra
Julie R.
on 12/12/11 12:45 am - Ludington, MI
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Karen, especially this time of year.  My prayers are with your family.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Valerie G.
on 12/12/11 3:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I'm so glad you were able to drop everything to be with your daughter and hold that precious child, to let her know that even in her brief existance, she was loved every minute.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes