OT - Gluten-Free Bread or Divorce

Not yo business OH
on 12/12/11 8:24 am
I have seen some of the brownie gluten-free and pancake mix too.  I will admit that my first attempt to make bread from scratch was a total flop!  Gross to the max!  I will admit one of the things I won't even tell my family - I didn't have potato starch, so I put some instant mashed potatoes in it!  haha  Totally gross!  And it fell after I took it out of the breadmaker.  

Ht: 5'7"  HW/247ish   SW/234    CW/141-145  (Over 100 pounds lost in 8 months!)    
J P.
on 12/12/11 9:32 am
Hi Terri,
I've been experimenting with gluten-free baking for about a year now.  I've found that cookies, quick breads, and muffin recipes can be substituted pretty easily.  It's harder to find decent bread recipes and I've only found a single cake recipe that I think is OK.
Personally, I buy alternative flours in bulk (5lb - 20lbs) from Amazon.com or other online retailers.  I found it's a lot more economical in the long run plus I've found different recipes need different types of flour.     Since I primarily bake desserts, this works best for me. The mixes got expensive after a while.
As for the xantham gum, it's a binding agent to replace the missing gluten.  A little goes a loooooong way which is why your bread was so stiff when you added tablespoons instead of teaspoons.    It doesn't add any bacteria so that isn't a concern.  

I read a couple of different blogs to get ideas and have found that I can use google to find decent recipes.  There's a lot more gluten free bakers then there were a few years ago!

Check out:
Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef
her flour mix, which I prefer, can be found at: http://glutenfreegirl.com/gluten-free-holiday-baking-2010/
Gluten Free Mommy

Elana's Pantry

~Jessica                                                   SW 271/ CW 131 / GW 145       

Come hang out with the Indianapolis
DS group -- calendar of events now online!
Not yo business OH
on 12/12/11 9:40 am
That makes sense.  It was super sticky, dense. 

Ht: 5'7"  HW/247ish   SW/234    CW/141-145  (Over 100 pounds lost in 8 months!)    
J P.
on 12/12/11 10:59 am
I bet!  Did you bake it - how did it turn out?
~Jessica                                                   SW 271/ CW 131 / GW 145       

Come hang out with the Indianapolis
DS group -- calendar of events now online!
Crazeru
on 12/12/11 2:40 pm
My niece just put this out on FB for rice flour tortillas - thought of you!

1 c. rice flour
1 tsp. xantham gum
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. Salt
2 tsp oil (I used evoo)
1/4 tsp sugar
1 tbsp shortening
1/4 -1/2 c. warm water
Mix all together in mixer. Form into balls. Flatten into tortillas. Brown in either greased or ungreased pan on stove. Fill and enjoy.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda