OT - Gluten-Free Bread or Divorce

pycca
on 12/11/11 11:49 pm - Haslet, TX
My daughter has to do guten free,, we do alot of the corn pasta, and make all our cookies, brownies, and pancakes of non flour stuff,,,

SO WORTH IT !!!    We have done some of the  bread with the gum,, still didn't like it well..

I tend to  find all rye or  bulgur  flour bread,

Sounds fun to bake thought !! good luck !
mel1964
on 12/12/11 12:56 am
i hope you find something too! i am a single gal but i have come to grips that i just cant eat bread! i stick to maybe corn based or rice based pasta if any, found out i have problems with some eggnogs too, one cup limit, sighh!

Anna G.
on 12/12/11 2:54 am
I'm curious to see how this works out for you. I haven't noticed any difference in my gas issues with the gluten-free breads I've tried, versus regular white bread. I do better with the garden variety 100% whole wheat. I don't really have the stink issue often, but most breads and pasta give me very painful gas pressure, and it's no different when I eat gluten-free bread or Dreamfields pasta.

Not yo business OH
on 12/12/11 3:02 am
I can already tell a difference.  Gone from maybe 50 BOMBS to 3 toots / day.  I say that is a big difference.  As far as the Dreamfields, I think the only kind I have seen is the high protein, but not gluten-free.  It causes me gas pains as well.  Pasta is the devil to me!

Ht: 5'7"  HW/247ish   SW/234    CW/141-145  (Over 100 pounds lost in 8 months!)    
Anna G.
on 12/12/11 3:06 am
Thanks, Terri-Lynne! I'll have to give it another try.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/12/11 3:42 am
It makes no difference to me, but my sweetie seems to be sensitive to gluten. He is a normie, and not diagnosed with celiacs, but clearly does better w/o gluten, so I'll play along if it's reasonably edible. Problem is, I've gotten used to Julian and Daves Killer breads, and am finding I can't stand any gluten free stuff I try. 

I have a relative that does have celiac, and has been completely gluten free for many years, and she has made the bread below, and I'll admit that freshly hot out of the oven, with butter, it was good. This is her favorite gluten free bread recipe, and she has had many.

Whole Grain Gluten Free Bread

Ingredients:

Dry:

1 cup teff flour
1 cup amaranth flour
1 cup chickpea flour
1/3 cup arrowroot flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
3 tsp xantham gum
2 tsp unflavored gelatin
2 tsp egg replacer
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk

Wet:

scant tblsp quick acting dry yeast
2 eggs
1 egg white
1/3cup safflower (or other) oil
tblsp honey
2 cups warm water (don't use too much)

Directions:
Oil and flour one 5" x 9" bread pan, or four 3" x 5" pans. Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add wet to dry gradually, mixing well. Beat dough for several minutes. Put in greased floured bread pan. Let rise at least and hour in warm place. Won't quite double. Bake at 390 for about 50 minutes for large pan, or 30 minutes for small. Tent with foil for last 1/2 of baking.

Not yo business OH
on 12/12/11 8:19 am
Thanks.  I am new to this, so I don't even know how to get a hold of some of the flours.  I live out in a rural area, and it may take a trip into Raleigh to get some of the items listed, but I will keep looking. 

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/12/11 8:42 am
I don't live in the best area for getting exotic cooking ingredients, and even a Whole Foods here would be nice, but I have finally gotten my hands on most of the things. Bob's Red Mill has many, and I finally ordered some online. Some things I now have a bag of, and only need a small amount at a time, so if there is something you can't find, let me know and if I have a bag, I'll just split it with you.
Not yo business OH
on 12/12/11 9:38 am
Thx.  That is really sweet of you.  You will have to drop it by the house....lol!  But seriously, very sweet of you.  I will look online and in town the next time I make a trip. 

T

Tammy D.
on 12/12/11 7:43 am
Hey Terri,

I have successfully subsituted almond flour or peanut flour in every cookie and heavy cake recipe I have.

My goal is higher protein and lower carbs, rather than no gluten, but it tells me that you can make a lot of changes with not so much pain...going gluten-free has got to be an easier choice than divorce!  :)

I've seen  a gluten-free version of Bisquick at my grocery store so that's another thing you could pick up. In fact, I recall seeing gluten-free brownie mix too.

good luck!  Can't wait to see your favorite recipes that the whole family loves....and maybe some that just us DSers will love...

Century Club: Thanksgiving Day 25November2010  I am truly grateful
Diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, and GERD resolved along the way. 
Onederland:  Citizen & permanent resident 17Dec2010  
'Normal' BMI range reached 26July2011
18 Month Surgiversary 148# BMI 23  26Nov2011

··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··
   ·><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>·
   ··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··