X-Post: What do you do when your excess skin affects your daily life and career? You FIGHT!

PattyL
on 12/12/11 7:34 am
 I wish him luck.

If obesity is a disease, and the ASMBS says it is, insurance should have to pay for reconstructive surgery just like they pay for reconstructive surgery after breast removal for cancer.  But I don't think that is going to happen any time soon.  

Here in Las Vegas, there is a man suffering with a form of elephantiasis that has affected his testicles.  He has a testicle that they say weighs over 80lbs.  Can you imagine the quality of that man's life?  He can't work and can hardly move.  He is fighting this same battle with his insurance company.  They say it's cosmetic.....  

Sorry but an 80lb testicle is much more than a cosmetic problem.
provolisa
on 12/12/11 3:09 pm - Provo, UT
I saw a documentary about that fellow. It is a really sad case. How utterly embarassing for him!

~Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

LadyDi9080
on 12/13/11 1:45 am - Tallahassee, FL
I paid for my own plastics - because they really were not medically necessary (even though my WLS was). I wrote off the plastics under the IRS rule that allowed "reconstructive surgery". Hence, I still need a face lift but that's not going to happen.
I can see where some cases PS would be necessary. I knew a woman that stepped on her sagging panni. OUCH. Not quite as bad as the 80 pound testicle!

Dianne from FL