Thank you...

sandyv63
on 12/12/11 12:33 am, edited 12/12/11 12:33 am - Naples, FL
That smell thing is wild, ain't it? It seems to be settling down for me now. The only thing that truly ever nauseated me was when I smelled something. It didn't have to be anything awful either. I was burning a tart that smelled like roses and it was weak because I had it for over a year and it made me nauseous. Go figure. Now at 4.5 weeks out, that seems to be getting better. Also, I don't know if you've noticed this or maybe you  didn't get it, but I smelled different post op and that really disturbed me. It lasted about 3 weeks. Boy was I happy when that stopped.  You may notice food starts tasting really lousy for a while. This has been the worst part of the experience for me but I've had a really smooth recovery without any real nausea or vomiting.  I think this may be getting better too. I managed to get a protein shake down yesterday and it did not make me gag at all. It actually tasted good! I was so excited. For the longest time I could not tolerate anything sweet; now that really turned my stomach. I am not craving sweets or carbs, just meats. Turkey bacon is wonderful and I can tolerate it well. At 4.5 weeks out, I can eat 3 slices at a time.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
Sheanie
on 12/12/11 1:27 am
Ever heard of Isopure ready to drink?  I started drinking the grape frost flavor in hospital and bought it once I got out.  The red flavor is the best.  It's whey isolate protein, so if you're lactose intolerant (like I was post-op) it won't bother you. 

I just figured that I was getting my fluids in AND protein at the same time.  That stuff is the reason why I got in 90 grams of protein from day one.  (90 grams or more, I should say)

I think maybe twanging of the vagus nerve might be responsible for the funky smell issue.  I just thought that nothing smelled good enough to eat early out.  I guess it wasn't just me after all.

In no time you're going to have energy to spare and be running around with your kids.  Wait and see.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/12/11 1:48 am
 Thanks. Sending someone out for Isopure today. Tried it a while ago and found the grape was ok. It'sa great idea and at least i'll be getting some nutrition in.  Pooped this morning--so at least things are moving along.  Thank you so much for your help. it's invaluable.
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 1:54 am - Woodbridge, VA
Initial ketosis can also mess with some people's sense of smell. I'm sorry you're having a rough time right now, but you're doing the right things by getting up and moving around and by drinking. I ended up dehydrated about a month after my surgery, and it SUCKED, so keep up the good work!

Don't feel like a freak. Just let your body heal, and in a couple months, you'll look back at this post in disbelief because of how great you feel!
Sher Bear Mama
on 12/12/11 1:56 am
 thanks
Sher--the bear mama