Newbie with some DS questions

Dudette
on 12/12/11 7:01 am - Edina, MN
I traveled over 1,800 miles by car for my DS (from the Midwest to the Mexican border). It was an amazing adventure and I would do it again in a heartbeat! But I'm very tenacious and I am the exception, not the rule.

Travel plans and sleeping arrangements afterwards (recliners, sofas, adjustable beds, etc.) may be greatly affected by how your DS is performed... open vs. lap. I had mine lap which afforded for a very quick physical recovery with little downtime. The first night out of the hospital and sleeping in a hotel with a real bed was absolute heaven for me! Best. Sleep. Ever. I despised that adjustable hospital bed while in the hospital. Your mileage may vary.

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 7:13 am
Hi,

I did not have an NG tube so I will defer to others.

Same pre-op testing as RNY.

I traveled over 5,000 miles and stayed 2 days short of 2 weeks in Brazil.  I had back-up care already arranged before I went.  I had my PCP on board and a Gastro surgeon lined up in the event of a problem.  I have needed nothing other than my PCP. I have my surgeon's office number, cell number, hospital number and his home phone number with instructions to call anytime day or night if the need arises.

I had open surgery and was sleeping in the hotel bed once I left the hospital. I never needed a recliner but some have.

DS Facts, the link is in my siggy.

Good luck,
Michele
songbird177
on 12/12/11 7:37 am - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
Thank you everyone for responding! It really feels like the DS is the surgery that fits me the best. RNY always worried me a bit and after reading about the pyloric valve, I definitely want to keep mine! Also, you can't argue with the DS statistics 10 years post op. Well you can't argue with any of its statistics lol! I want to make the right decision the first time around and I don't want to be worse off than I am now (which I think the RNY would make me worse off).

But today I got some bad news. While my insurance says they will cover any surgery that is medically necessary, or so the representative told me on the phone, I can't seem to find a doctor that would take me. I was really excited after reading about the closest DS surgeon to me only being an hour and a half drive but I called this morning and he doesn't take my insurance :(. No one seems to be contracted with my insurance. When I call the rep to ask they can't seem to find any but say ask my pcp. (this is bariatric surgeons in general)

I don't know what to do. It's been a rather depressing day because of this. This can't be the end. There must be a way. Even if I sell everything I own, I doubt it will be enough. And neither me or my husband make enough to take out a loan. :(

I just really had my heart set on this and now it seems like its over :(