Talk to me about Egg Protein...

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/11 3:06 am
Here's the deal:

I have been using NOW brand unflavored whey protein isolate because it causes me the least amount of side effects.  I have tried NUMEROUS others and ALL of the flavored ones taste like I would imagine ass would taste like!  Champion was probably the best tasting of the flavored ones but caused me to become a farting machine.

I don't use protein shakes every day, if I can eat all of my protein (150gms) I get a pass.

I started noticing that on the day after I have one or two protein shakes, I have a little more gas and that's ok BUT also the gas stinks!!  After a few days of no shakes I have little to no gas and if I have any gas at all there is hardly any smell.

So any of you that use egg protein, do you use the unflavored and is it really unflavored? Also, does it cause more gas than usual?

Inquiring minds would like to know!

Thanks.

honeybadger 11
on 12/11/11 10:39 am - FL
I hope someone chimes in. I would be very interested as i cant drink whey protein:)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/11 10:59 am
I don't think many people use it.  I have heard a few that tried the Jay Robb brand but someone said it had sugar alcohols in it, yuk.   It is more expensive than whey and I really didn't want to order it and hate the taste or have more gas, ya know?

Well, I might just have to break down and order some, if I do I will be sure and give you the 411.

I think Ms Cal Culator uses it, but I don't know the brand name and she has been MIA.  I will try to PM her and find out.

Michele
michellemj
on 12/11/11 9:07 pm
If you have access to a Whole Foods, I've found Jay Robb in individual packets so you could at least try it before committing to a giant tub. The individual packets are also on the Jay Robb website, but this would at least save you from placing an order.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/11 10:59 pm
I am a 300 mile round trip from the nearest Whole Foods. :(

I will see if they have an unflavored version in a sample online.

Thanks!
dlappin413
on 12/11/11 11:52 am - Woodstock, GA
I hope someone chimes in on this one, too.  I can't drink whey protein due to the high volume of gas and diarrhea I get.  Soy isn't much better for me... no gas but, diarrhea.  So, I have not taken the next step to egg protein.  I don't want to waste any more money on protein shakes that cause me more difficulties than benefits.  I am getting enough protein through food so it's not a huge issue at this point.  I'd just like to have the option if needed. 

Please DO post your experience with egg protein if you get some.

Thanks!
Diana
I hope you dance with enthusiasm... and a million other things joyful!

elixir
on 12/11/11 12:17 pm - MI
Whey protein doesn't give me gas, nor am I intolerant to it.  That said, I was looking for something different just to see how it was so I bought some vanilla custard flavored egg protein. It's pretty gross. Tastes like vanilla scrambled eggs. Rather unpleasant. I've tried all kinds of add -ins and mix-ins and nothing helps improve the yuck.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

feeder3565
on 12/11/11 1:51 pm
I use egg protein. It has been a life saver for me. I became so intolerant of foods and additives it seemed I would never find the right combination with food and digestion again. At  11/2 years out I was living on egg protein, eggs, Greek yogurt, nuts and all meats. 

I tried every kind of protein drink and this was the only one that did not cause distress for me. Healthy 'N Fit. I buy it at the Vitamin Shoppee. All natural egg protein .Free from artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors and preservatives. The chickens the eggs come form are not given hormones. No sugars, sugar alcohols, fats salt, milk, gums, fillers, gluten, or wheat ingredients. All the amino acids in this product are natural. 

Vitamin Shoppee sells this on line with no shipping and handling. They also have a return policy if you do not like it. They work with you there to get the right protein supplement for your taste and digestive track, and they expect returns until you hit the one that works. 

If you buy this on line it is 10$ less. For a 2# jug at the shoppee it is 40$ on-line 30$. I get it in 3 days.Many coupons and deals and points. 

Taste, what can I say? I am 3 years out and have never enjoyed a protein drink. Push myself 3 times a day, but do drink them everyday. No exceptions. This saved me from going TPN many times. 

When I am weak, sick, no appetite, I use only water, double scoop and drink it straight. When I am feeling good I use lots of cream, dark coco, stevia sweetener. I hope this helps.

With the loss of my grand baby recently I am not up to eating, so I am living on these Dam old protein drinks to once again save my life. I am at 123 and 5'6. Not worried because I know I will rebound, but these shakes are what get me through so many hard times in life. One may never learn to love them, but we can learn to respect them. Karen          

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/11 11:02 pm
Thank you Karen, maybe I can get a sample or just suck it up and order!

Yeah, I wish I never had to have a protein shake again, but like you, sometimes I just can't get enough food in to meet the levels of protein I need.

Hang in there, sweetie!
honeybadger 11
on 12/12/11 10:55 am - FL
I also use healthy n fit. it taste like feet so i switched to optimum nutrition but apparently im sensitve to sucralose right now so im back to the healthy n fit. Ive not had the vanilla but i would bet its probably pretty tasteless becasue the chocolate is.

The smell of the dried mix is impressive and dont let you cup set for very long without rinsing it because it smells like rotten food if you do. Set my cup in the sink and didnt rinse it and almost died the next day from the fumes!

The optimum health chocolate flavor was quite good by protein shake standards. Hopefully i will be able to go back to it eventually.

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com