Iron

fullhousemom
on 12/9/11 11:07 am
I have been reading many of the past "iron" threads and I see that a lot of people need iron injections.  Is there a correlation with low iron levels both pre and post surgery, or is this something that has come up after the DS surgery.  I am trying to determine how much of an iron supplement, if any, I should be taking.  I have never had low iron before, and I love eating red meat.  I am at a point where I can eat a good steak every day.

If I do end up with the iron supplement, I was considering Vitalady's tender iron as I see that is popular with a lot of people. 

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!
PatXYZ
on 12/9/11 11:59 am
Obesity and menstruation are themselves risk factors for anemia, so people having the DS tend to be a bit higher than the population average for anemia already. With the DS, part of the duodenum is preserved, which is a key area for iron absorption, so you're better off than a RNYer, but it is still impaired enough to require heavy supplementation to reliably avoid anemia.

The good news is that most DSers (statistically) can avoid any serious anemia with oral supplementation. I know there are many people on this board who need infusions, and that is a risk one should be willing to adopt when having a DS, but one that is generally avoidable for most DSers. The best iron supplements for DSers are polysaccharide (FeraMAX), carbonyl (Tender Iron), and heme (Proferrin). Starting out, 300mg elemental is recommended for both the polysaccharide and carbonyl. If you exclusively supplement heme it would be a smaller amount, but I don't know as much about this form of iron for DSers but I know RNYers with iron issues often take between 22-44mg/day (2-4 tablets), I would assume a DSer would need more.

I've had anemia several times, it is a ***** I highly recommend that you supplement proactively and not wait for your levels to get low.
newyorkbitch
on 12/9/11 11:35 pm, edited 12/9/11 11:37 pm
 I don't know that most DSers can avoid "serious anemia" with oral supplementation....or how you define "serious anemia,"  but there are indeed many DSers who need iron infusions despite taking every oral iron supplement under the sun.  I am one of them.  No matter what type, how much,  how often...no oral iron helps me.  And we've seen that many times here with many people.

I was never anemic before the DS.

The good news is that periodic iron infusions work.  And they are not a big deal.  I have two series of infusions per year,  it does the trick.

But I want to emphasize what PatXYZ said:  get on a regular program of oral iron asap...don't wait until you have issues with your levels....it's much harder to get them up once they're down,  and it feels really crappy to be anemic.  If oral supplementation is going to work for you,  vigilance with it, and early, is really important.

By the way,  note to the OP:  it's infusions, not injections.

lisarn
on 12/9/11 12:38 pm - Omaha, NE
For me, I was anemic as a pre-op...ever since I was a teenager and getting my period. I am only 6 months out, and my numbers are still kinda low, even with supplementation. We malabsorb so much, so if someone starts out low, high chance they will stay low. As a pre-op, my hemaglobin was high if it was above 10.8....and 3 months post op, I was actually at 12.3. Now I am at 11.1. That bump up I think was due to the fact I was taking iron more consistantly as a post op.
I wouldn't wait to see if you drop down before starting to take iron supplements. I have been taking Vitalady tender's, but I am going to switch to Proferrin for 3 months to see if that brings me up any. If not, then I will probably go see a Hematologist for an infusion. 

HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

PatXYZ
on 12/10/11 3:42 am
I have had extreme menstrual bleeding issues all my life due to a genetic blood clotting disorder. I've recently gotten a Mirena IUD and am hoping it will keep my period at bay permanently. Have you tried it? Also, a nurse who specializes in iron issues advised me to take an extra 50% dose of iron during my period. I'm planning on taking the FeraMAX post-op, and will top up with the Proferrin if I have any bleeding episodes.
bdocker
on 12/9/11 9:57 pm
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/11 10:51 pm
Most of the people that I see here get infusions, not injections.  There are injections available, but from what I hear they are not as effective and can / do leave big permanent stains on your skin at the injection site.  Personally, I would opt for the infusions, most do not have to go back for a year or more to get a 'refill'. :)
newyorkbitch
on 12/9/11 11:41 pm
 There are different iron products,  and they have different infusions intervals and durations.

What I get is ferrlecit,  the infusion takes about 40 minutes,  and I do 5 bags over the course of 2 weeks.  So that's 5 visits.  I do that twice a year.

It is what it is - that's what I need to stay healthy.  

The DS carries with it risks like this.  You have to be prepared to do what you gotta do for your long term health.

Valerie G.
on 12/10/11 5:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I was on a supplement the first six months, then once my levels came back up I've not had a problem since.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

fullhousemom
on 12/10/11 8:45 am
 Thanks everyone!  I ordered some iron from Vitalady and will be following her recommendations. Proactively!  :)