Home but not well

fullhousemom
on 12/10/11 11:01 pm
You've already got a lot of good advice. I would add keeping the tums next to where you sleep. I would wake up nauseous, take a tums, and my stomach would settle. Made my mornings a little better too.   I never had a problem with acid pre DS. Never took a tums in my life!  The acid took me by surprise post DS. The good news for me, is that it gradually went away.   At two months out, it is just a memory!

.....and this too shall pass. Just keep remembering that early out!   Best wishes!
(deactivated member)
on 12/10/11 11:09 pm
I think you will feel better once you get on the generic Prilosec.  Post-op, the acid tummy very often presents as nausea.  I know that once I got that under control, I was golden.

You have gotten lots of good advice, the main thing being, get your liquids in!! If you get dehydrated, do not be afraid to go get fluids! 

I can't remember if you had your surgery open or lap.  If it was lap, the gas is outside of the stomach and intestines and gas-x won't help much for that, only walking and time will.

You will be fine, you are on top of things!

Michele
larra
on 12/10/11 11:41 pm - bay area, CA
Actually, your recovery sounds much like mine, except that you're doing a better job staying hydrated than I did. Take the prilosec! Pepcid was useless for me, but prilosec made all the difference in the world. Don't sweat the food. It will come with time. Burping - yep, constant for me as well, even though I tried my best not to swallow air. Your stomach just isn't working right at this point. It will improve.
     Try the ginger tea, saltines (if doc says ok), try liquids at different temperatures, and don't worry about food or vitamins. As long as there is no serious complication, time is on your side and you will feel better.

Larra
(deactivated member)
on 12/11/11 12:31 am

Hi Sher,

You are NOT a failure sweetie. That all sound pretty normal to me, however if your surgeon wants you to come back so he can take a look at you, you should do it just to be on the safe side. I know it can be inconvenient, but with the major surgery you just had it's really a no brainer to go see your surgeon.

That said, cream of wheat will gas you up big time. Applesauce may be too much at this time. Try sipping broth like chicken or beef; play with the temperatures as it may effect how much you can tolerate. Don't worry about getting food in right now--just your fluids. Broth, water, diluted apple juice, sf popsicles, sf pudding--all this makes for good fluid intake.

Be patient with yourself mentally and physically. Your body has been through a traumatic change and it will take time to heal. Go slow, baby steps and everything will be fine. Just keep sipping, walking and resting. The more you move, the better it works the gas out.

Its a Secret
on 12/11/11 2:30 am, edited 2/10/12 1:11 am
Comment pulled because OH refuses to respect members privacy and moderates unfairly.