Finding out when surgery is!!!!!!

chelly_3180
on 12/10/11 6:33 am
I am a 31 year old female about to have this surgery shecduled. And I am nervous as all get out. Can anyone give me some advice?
larra
on 12/10/11 7:05 am - bay area, CA
Chelly, this might not be the advice you wanted, but you have a bigger problem than getting your surgery scheduled, and that is that your surgeon - at least the one you have named here, does not do the DS. Since you posted on the DS forum, I'm assuming that's the operation you are trying to schedule. I've been reading on this forum for over 6 years and have never seen his name as anyone's DS surgeon.
     So unless I'm wrong about either the name of your surgeon or your choice of surgery, you have a big problem. You can find a list of surgeons *****ally do the DS at dsfacts.com. Do not believe any lists you see on OH, they are frequently not accurate. The good news is that TX does have an excellent DS surgeon in Dr. Daryl Stewart. 
     Any other questions? Anything else I can do to wreck your day? All kidding aside, we see so many people who get sucked in by surgeons who claim to do the DS but don't, and who will then try to steer you to whatever operation they really do, it's very sad.

Larra
teachmid
on 12/10/11 7:14 am - OKC, OK
Welcome. Please tell us a little more of your plans and take Lara's advice to heart.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

provolisa
on 12/10/11 11:34 am - Provo, UT
Celly, you look so radiant and happy in your photo!

I am very happy for you and your decision to have the DS as opposed to any other surgery. Mine is scheduled in a few days.

It is probably upsetting to hear this about your surgeon, but it really is worth looking into. These vets on this board know the most about getting this surgery done, and living with it for the rest of your life; more than any other authority I have found. If they think they see a red flag, it is worth checking it out.

There are examples of people who wanted the DS and went to a surgeon who promised them a DS, and then they got a RNY gastric bypass instead. It turned out afterwards that their surgeons never did anything except the RNY in the first place. They just don't want this to happen to you.

Another concern is that the DS is a very challenging operation for a surgeon, and you don't want to be someone's practice case, if he is just now branching out into the DS.

Since you have a way to pay for your DS, perhaps it would be best to slow down just a little bit to make sure that you spend your money, or your insurance money, in the best place to get yourself the best possible outcome!

~Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

fullhousemom
on 12/11/11 1:27 am
There was a similar thread about someone getting a DS and the doctor hadnt YET performed the surgery, but would have done 3 by the time her surgery was done. I believe she was from France. Please go back and read the threads. You do not want to get the surgery from a doctor who hasnt successfully performed many. People on this site know who those doctors are!  It doesn't matter how wonderful your doctor is, how much reassurance he/she gives you. DON'T DO IT!  One to two months ago, a young girl died because her surgeon was not experienced. I believe she was in AZ.  The success stories you read on here is from people who have gone to well-known surgeons.  Please, for the sake of your health and for your loved ones, get a different surgeon.