If we can only absorb (aprox) 30 grams of protein...

beth-28
on 12/8/11 11:40 am
...at a time, how far apart should we space our eating? I mean, do we wait until everything is emptied out of our stomach?

I know we sip, sip, sip all the time, but I was a little confused on how to get the maximum amount of protein from food. I haven't stopped my shakes, but when I am able to eat solid foods, I hope to get most of my protein that way and don't want to waste it. Does that make any sense??

Thanks!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Yehuda G.
on 12/8/11 12:09 pm
Can you even consume 30 g in one sitting? Remember that we only absorb ~50% protein consumed, so I don't think you should really be worried about this. Push the water and get as much protein as you can.

That's just my thoughts. I'm sorry I don't know the exact answer to your question.
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/11 12:10 pm - TX
 UGH.  I wish this mythology would go away.  I heard an NP reiterate it today and Steve had to stand on my foot to keep me from jumping at her.

The 30g at one time is for folks with kidney disease.  Everyone else can absorb more than that.  Beyond to prevent muscle wasting, we actually need to get AT LEAST 30g at a time, which means a DS'er needs to intake around 60g at a time.  Golly, that's a lot.

My solution is to graze all day and keep my protein intake moving.  But I'm odd like that
beth-28
on 12/8/11 12:30 pm
Thanks Yahuda and Ragamuffin,

I can not eat 30 gm at one time at this time. I'm only 11 days post-op. I was just asking for future advice. I didn't realize this was a "myth", I was just re-reading some info given to me by the NUT. That's why I wanted to ask on here about it. I know we take most of the NUT's advice with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the help!

MajorMom
on 12/8/11 6:34 pm - VA
Just have a little protein every half hour or so. I like the consistency of a 30g protein coffee. Two or 3 scoops the way I make my shakes would be too thick. It's a YMMV thing.

If you can do a 30g shake and rest for 30 minutes before the next one, it's a way to keep track in your head or on a schedule.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

NoreenRT
on 12/8/11 7:33 pm - Warner Robins, GA
hi beth- about 2 years ago, i read a post from vita lady that said the exact same thing.  we only absorb 30 gr of protein at one sitting.  a "sitting" was defined at approx one hour.  dunno if this is a myth or not.  vita lady is usually dead on target with stuff so i believe in what she said on this topic.
for me, i have a protein coffee in the morning (1 1/2 scoops = 34 gr protein) wait about an hour to start grazing on breakfast.  then at night, i make a decaf protein coffee, climb into bed, turn on the tv and sip away the last hour of my day. 
i do the same as ragamuffin, i graze all day long on my food choices.  i am very fortunate that my labs have been damn near perfect.  i do believe one of the secrets is a constant even flow of vitamins, fluids, and protein.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

girlygirl1313
on 12/8/11 8:42 pm - Davidson, NC
 I try to graze but often time I fail miserably from my attempts.  I'm in the habit of drinking 100g of protein coffees (about 44oz total with half/half) between 6-10am.  Caffeine is a great motivator for me to get the protein in plus I actually enjoy it.  :)
~GG

Kayla B.
on 12/8/11 8:52 pm - Austin, TX
I really don't know about the accuracy of that statement.  That being said, most things absorb better when spread throughout the day in many doses.  Therefore, the actual amount at one time isn't something I'd be concerned with, but moreso that you are eating all day long and eventually reach 100g.

You get the amount from food by eating between shakes as much as you can :)  When you're able to start eating closer to 100g from food only, you can phase out the shakes (or not...if you like them).
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Sheanie
on 12/8/11 9:22 pm
I start my day and end my day with protein drinks.  Chocolate in my coffee, Fuzzy Navel at night, both whey isolate proteins. 

Vitalady said (I think) that the whey isolate protein shakes are the most bio-available and most easily absorbed protein for us.  And early AM and bedtime are the optimum times to digest them, so that's what I do. 

Best thing I ever did was order all the protein drink samples that Vitalady has available.  I've made it through them now at 2 years plus, and have several faves, but don't like sweet ones.  I wish they made them less sweet. 

Some DSers eat all their protein in food.  I prefer to drink more than half of mine due to my very teeny sleeve.  No way could I ever eat 120 grams in food per day.  Tried several times, got sick.  Besides, I feel way better with the drinks.

To each his own.  Listen to your body.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

beth-28
on 12/10/11 1:53 pm
Thak you all so much! You've given me some great ideas to work with!