need help from smarties about the scale

Bonnie R.
on 12/8/11 6:31 am, edited 12/7/11 6:56 pm - Stratford, CT
Many of you know I am newly pregnant--7 weeks.

Since becoming pregnant I have gained 3 pounds. This is fine. My question is the fat% has changed 3 points and the water % has stayed the same. This doesn't make sense. The weight I've gained would not equal 3% points. Is there some math or health thing I am missing. I am not an expert on all this.

start weight 197
weight now 200-201 depending on the day
fat % start 40, now 43
water % 40. And I drink tons, always have since surgery, it just won't budge off the 40 but is up from pre-surgery.

Thanks for the help
beemerbeeper
on 12/8/11 7:29 am - AL
Hi Bonnie!

I have no clue about fa****er??  Who says those are your numbers? How do they know?

Congrats on your pregnancy.  I hope it goes well.  How are you feeling?

~Becky

Bonnie R.
on 12/8/11 7:37 am - Stratford, CT
 Becky, it sends an electrical pulse that goes through your body and based on the resistance, is how the scale makes the measurements.

I'm feeling okay. Some days are worst than others. Lots of nausea on some days and today not much at all.  You should see my boobs!  They're huge!  It's amazing how quickly the body begins to change. I'm very excited to be pregnant and although I complain sometimes about nausea or other stuff, it doesn't mean I am not happy or excited.  I can't wait to meet our baby--I said to Dave, I can't wait, is there any way to speed this up? :)

Hope you are doing well.  How are your tenants and your new house?  
beemerbeeper
on 12/8/11 7:47 am - AL
Bonnie,

I was so sick in early pregnancy with both of mine that I was in the hospital a lot.  I also had mono when I was pregnant with the first one which just added to my misery.

But worth it !!!! So worth it!!!

I'm loving my new house but spending so much time with the new BF that I haven't done as much as I would have liked.  The garage is still full of stuff that needs to be unpacked or stored appropriately. 

But not saying I'm not happy!!!  Because I'm REALLY happy.

I haven't done window coverings yet.  I have 11 identical windows and 2 french doors. I bought a Lowe's type faux 2" blind and hung it but I don't like it.  I just don't know what to do.  I'm not much of a decorator.

I guess I would like Plantation Shutters but what do you put on doors?

I'm just doing nothing for now.

Enjoy this pregnancy Bonnie.  Dont try to ru****  Baby will be here right on time!!!

~Becky

lk1970
on 12/8/11 8:33 am
No idea about the scale but OMG congrats on the baby!!!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

Bonnie R.
on 12/8/11 8:35 am - Stratford, CT
 Thank you so much!
Verhampshirite
on 12/9/11 11:15 am
Bonnie - Congratulations! That's going to be one lucky baby!

-- Lenore

Courage is more exhilarating than fear, and in the long run it is easier.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
HW - 320, SW - 277, CW - 144, GW - 137
5' 2.5"; 120 cm. common channel; 3-4 oz. sleeve

Bonnie R.
on 12/9/11 11:18 am - Stratford, CT
 Thank you so much, Lenore!  
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/11 9:09 pm - Woodbridge, VA
Here's what I've read about the scales that use electrical impedence to test body composition percentages: they are essentially only accurate if you are completely proportional. They send the impulse up one leg and down the other - it does NOT go through the entire body (arms, chest, etc.). The scale just assumes your entire body's composition is the same as just the lower half that it is testing. With a baby brewing right between the legs, I would think this would throw it off because that part is within the path of being measured.

I would expect LOTS of wonky readings over the coming weeks as your baby develops, your blood supply increases, your lower body adjusts (don't know about you, but my hips are wider!), etc. I honestly wouldn't pay any attention to it   :)