new to forum - DS scheduled Jan. 4

Dentongirl
on 12/8/11 2:38 am
I am new to this forum but have been reading through the threads to prepare for my DS, which is scheduled with Dr. Daryl Stewart on January 4, 2012.  I have no health problems beyond joint pain and obesity, and the surgery will be performed laproscopoically.  I am just wondering if it's reasonable to think I might return to my desk job after two weeks.  Also I am interested in the widely varying rates of weight loss.  The nutritionist in Dr. Stewart's office said most of their DS patients lose 100 lb within the first year.  However, I have ready many posts of those who have lost much faster than that.  I wonder what impacts the rate of weight loss after surgery.  I know the length of the common channel affects how much malabsorption occurs.  If you haev wisdon please share.

Also, I am interested in anyone's pre-op advice.

PS I am currently 288 and goal is 145.  I am 5'6".

Thanks for your help -
Larissa P.
on 12/8/11 3:51 am - Denton, TX
w00t and helloo from a fellow Dentonite!

Stick around, and don't fret about the weight, we are ALL different but rest assured, it WILL come off! My wisdom is to hide or throw away your scale for the next year!
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Valerie G.
on 12/8/11 4:17 am, edited 12/8/11 4:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Don't be too ambitious for getting back into the swing of things. Recovery is very individual. I took 8 weeks off work, the first 5 weeks feeling very listless. Keep in mind that regardless of the incisions, the same work is being done inside.

Also, if you've not found it yet, check out dsfacts.com for loads more information.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kingy
on 12/8/11 4:40 am - Hobart, Australia
2 weeks and back to work? I have read of one person doing this but I'll be honest I'm 6 weeks into 8 weeks off and I'm so glad I took the time. I have had a very good recovery but the bottom line is your internal organs need time to knit (the doctor advised me about 12 weeks until the internal swelling goes down) and your energy levels will fluctuate wildly during your recovery period. I also find my concentration is not what it used to be, but apparently that also improves after the first couple of months. The other good thing about the time off, is the chance to learn from and listen to your new body and there is a rather steep learning curve on how to look after it and form a routine that works for both of you (mind and body).

I know 8 weeks off seems a long time and you may not be able to afford the time, but if you can stretch it out from 2 weeks, you could be doing yourself a favour.

I wish you all the best on your up and coming surgery!
sandyv63
on 12/8/11 5:30 am - Naples, FL
Two weeks? Good luck with that. You'll be lucky to get from your bed, to the toilet, to the couch at 2 weeks out. You may also still be on pain killers.  My second week out was the worst. I was sooo tired, there are no words to describe it. It is also the time food begins to suck. Nothing tastes quite right to you anymore and hell if I know why this starts at 2 weeks, although it could happen sooner or later than that for you. Food was terrific at one week out.

I just went back to work this week at 3.5 weeks out because I had to. I have a desk job so my job is hardly strenuous but I really wish I had at least one more week. I come home after a 3/4 day and I collapse. Yesterday I was so beat I took a long nap and then went to bed early. My surgery was also lap and I had one of the easiest and best recoveries you can have. If you can stay out longer, I'd say don't pu**** This is a huge surgery even though there are hardly any scars.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
determineddanni
on 12/8/11 10:56 am
I plan to go back to work on my 4th week. I am young, have no co-mobidities, and I have a desk job; yet I still am taking 3 weeks off. Be careful not to pu****

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

JD_in_TX
on 12/8/11 11:23 am - TX
Mine was lap, I was back after 2 weeks, but taking it fairly easy (shorter days than normal). I have a very physically non-demanding desk job. I'm also young-ish (42) and relatively healthy (no diagnosed co-morbs) other than being MO.
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/11 12:24 pm
My wife and I both had the same surgeon.  Everybody's recovery is different.  I'm self-employed with  fairly sedentary job.  I had my lap DS Wednesday 12/16/09 and returned to work Monday 12/21/09 and worked full-time from then on.  I did it out of necessity to cover $1000/day overhead at my workplace, but I did fine.  I had a refrigerator at work and kept it stocked with supplies to consume in between clients.  I was tired at the end of the day, but did fine.  It took my mind off the minor aches and pains and I think it actually helped me recover faster.  I would have gone stir-crazy (and broke) sitting around my house for 2 weeks doing nothing.  

You need to give yourself adequate time to recover before returning to a normal routine.  That might be two weeks and it might be 6 weeks or more.  Just focus on moving, hydrating, and getting in your protein initially.  Everything else will follow in due time.  
pktwatch
on 12/8/11 1:15 pm
I had surgery in September. I walked a mile the day after surgery and a mile the next day and I am 64 years old. I am retired and seemed to have a easy time with my surgery but we are all different so It is not safe to bet that you will be able to go to work in 2 weeks. For me the only issues I had were bathroom issues and they were not as bad as many that I have read about.

2 weeks is doable with the lap surgery, just don't over do it.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

J G.
on 12/8/11 3:11 pm
Woo Hoo!  Jan 4 is a great day!  It's my birthday, so I'll be thinking of you on that day. Two weeks seems a bit ambitious to me.... I was nauseous for 3 months. 

- Jenny