flip a coin - low iron or low protein more of a problem ?

gak
on 12/9/11 12:16 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Scuba, I was on 300 mg of elemental and I have increased it by another 105 mg a day, so I am getting 405 mg a day, divided up . My last ferritin was 32 and the one vefore that was 69.  My PCP is a pia lately. She thinks I should just accept that I am a little older and it's natural to slow down. I say B.S. , I do not want to slow down, I want to keep up at my usual pace. 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

J G.
on 12/8/11 1:14 pm
Ginger, getting infusions was one of the smartest things I've done, and it was easy-peasy!
gak
on 12/9/11 12:17 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Jenny, they do sound easy peasy. We do not have a hemotologist here in no mans land, but I am going to check and see where the closest one might be located with insurance company while I wait on the labs to return. I hate dragging ! 

Ginger<><  

Janet P.
on 12/8/11 7:44 pm
Ginger - From someone who has been severely anemic, you need to get yourself a hematologist and get some iron infusions. IMHO if your iron is low, no amount of oral iron will help. Try to find a hematologist who has knowledge of malabsorption. I never had to convince my hematologist that I needed an infusion, even when my H&H numbers were normal. As long as my ferritin was under 50 he would infuse (because he "got it").

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

gak
on 12/9/11 12:20 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 I will take your hemotologist. We do not even have one in town. 32 was my last ferritin, the one before that was 69, Hopefully this one is on the way back up. I will try to find the closest one that insurance will cover while I await these labs. Wonder how I can be certain in advance if a doc would get it ...... guess I can call the office and see how smart they appear to be.

Ginger<><  

Sheanie
on 12/8/11 9:34 pm
Hate to be Captain Obvious, but how about taking a nap?  Whether it's 15 minutes or longer, a nap re-charges your battery. 

Exercise gives you more energy.  Don't laugh.  When you feel the most sluggish, go outside for a brisk walk.  Tremendous difference when you get back.  Even better if you have a dog.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

gak
on 12/9/11 12:25 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Naps can be 10-20 minutes. Once about a week ago I crashed for about two hours. I can asleep in the lazyboy with the laptop really easy and just sort of snooze for 15minutes to an hour or so. It really varies. 

I do walk several days a week and I swim laps at least once a week. I am excerising. One day after a walk, I sat in the hottub and fell asleep and slipped into the water... that was a first ! But that is how tired I was that day. Naps are hard on days that I am working a the office. If I work from home on a day I can sneak a nap in.  I barely have time to eat when at the office and I make sure I get my protein in at that time.  

No pets here, but I walk anyways, unless it's rainy or super windy. Those days I ride an indoor bike. So it's either a walk or a bike ride depending. I actually have sometime rode my bike while talking to clients to fit it in. 

Ginger<><  

Emily F.
on 12/9/11 2:57 am
Can you drive into a town for a hemotalogist? Also how many grams protein? You say a couple protein shakes. I had 6.1 protein and went to 6 shakes a day and it came up in a year to 6.8. That was every single day.
gak
on 12/9/11 3:03 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Closest hematologist would be an hour and half to two hours away.  I would have to figure out exactly where. We are in no man's land triangle here... I would have to go Montgomery, Pensacola or Mobile to find one.  I am getting 125-200 grams of protein each day between food and shakes. I always do double shakes and use IDS flavors or Champion Nutrition flavors.  Will see what labs say when they come back. Maybe it's more the iron  ? I do not know for sure, but seems like it has to be one of them or a combo. I do a double shake morning, most afternoons and all evenings. 

Ginger<><  

Janet P.
on 12/9/11 3:47 am
Ginger - definitely call and ask if the hematologist has any experience with WLS patients. Don't expect them to know the DS but if they have any bypass or RNY patients they should "get" malabsorption.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny