flip a coin - low iron or low protein more of a problem ?

gak
on 12/8/11 8:10 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 I am looking for opinions. I have talked to a few others, and maybe I am over thinking this and maybe not. 

I have been struggling with low iron and low protein levels, they are both in range at the low end on last labs. 

YES, I have upped intake of BOTH. I am dragging my behind almost daily.  I know I am busy, but gesh, I do not have time to be tired, especially this time of year. 

While I wait for the latest labs to return, which do you think makes us more tired ? Or does it not matter ? I am getting enough sleep thanks to Lunesta and I wake up feeling rested, but half way thru the day I am dragging again and ready for nap. 

I am really curious to see this set of labs. I always had so MUCH energy and it's gone. I do not like this !

Thanks for any insight. 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

MajorMom
on 12/8/11 8:31 am - VA
Yep, I've heard your energy gets zapped with either low iron or low protein. Let's hope it's low protein and you can bring that up yourself with 4 or 5 shakes a day.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

gak
on 12/8/11 8:53 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 HI Gina, 
Yes I have been in getting 3 guaranteed shakes, and often 4 and 5 a day since we talked. I am just still dragging. Hate feeling like this. Will have new labs back next week. So we will see what they say. 

Ginger<><  

Emily F.
on 12/8/11 9:07 am
Also, wondering about sleep apnea? You say you are tired but getting enough sleep?
gak
on 12/8/11 11:12 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Emily, Tested negative for apnea long before surgery. Wouldn't that be odd now after weight loss if I never had it before ? Hubby never has said anything about snoring or weird breathing, just that I am out and sound asleep when I sleep. 

Ginger<><  

Mom4Jazz
on 12/8/11 9:20 am
My two cents worth: I had marginal iron and marginal protein. My iron has improved significantly, protein still marginal (protein malabsorption - it's not just for DSers, dunno how I got so lucky) and my energy has improved significantly.

Which is not to say marginal protein won't make you tired, just that for me improving the iron made a HUGE difference.

Can you do infusions?

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

gak
on 12/8/11 11:18 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 I am working on my iron, with two dif types at different times of the day. I am interested in my new labs and maybe I should of waited to see the results. It is just not like me to drag like this and I am so frustrated and so wondered others experience.

I doubt PCP would agree to infusion as long as I am in range, even though it's low end. She already told me she thought it was my age  .. I say B. S ! Like I am just supposed to accept that I do not feel energenic ! I think NOT . There has to be a reason ! Bet my surgeon will support it depending on labs. I have never had one. 

Ginger<><  

provolisa
on 12/8/11 12:24 pm - Provo, UT
It sounds to me like you might be getting a double whammy, because I thought either one by itself could make you fatigued. Why does it have to be one or the other?

~Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

gak
on 12/9/11 12:13 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Lisa, 
I feel like a double whammy !  I am not sure if it's one or the other or just a combo of both...that is why I was wondering what others have experiences. I am usualy a spitball full of energy, but not for awhile. Even hubby asks, are you feeling okay as I usually have more energy. 

Ginger<><  

scubadiva
on 12/8/11 12:26 pm
I was taking 300 to 350 mg of ELEMENTAL iron at one point for several months in a chewable form.  I took Bariatric Advantage Chewables... however many got me to 300 mg elemental.  Some of it was fumarate some carbonyl.  It worked.  My ferritin went from 23 to well over 200.  I have since cut back.  I was low energy but am now better.  I only do 1 protein shake a day if that.  I eat a lot of protein otherwise.  Hope you get it figured out!  You can raise your iron without infusions!  My pcp would not give them to me.  So I took matters into my own hands and chewed tons of iron first thing in the morning-- 6 to 10 or more depending on brand.... and then brushed my teeth.  (Iron can stain teeth).  I hope you feel better.  I know the feeling you are describing!