IBS Pre-op, how's it post op?

Huneypie
on 12/7/11 1:47 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I've had IBS for 10 years and I was concerned about it post op.

I did raise this point within someonelse's thread and thought it deserved it's own post, just on the off chance the kind people *****plied were the exception to the general picture (I know it's a case of YMMV, but I'd still appreciate some more input to get a better idea).

I'm dithering slightly at the mo and my hubby still needs some convicing - he thinks the sleeve alone should've been enough!!  

TIA.
bookfaerie
on 12/7/11 2:17 am
Like I said in the other thread, the DS cured my IBS. I have very regular bowel movements now. One in the AM and sometimes one in the PM depending on what I eat. The exception is if I don't take my calcium vites, (they upset my stomach so if I'm ill I skip them), or if I overdo it on my fats. HTH
 "Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"What your heart thinks is great, is great. The soul's emphasis is always right." Ralph Waldo Emerson    
Huneypie
on 12/7/11 2:25 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Many thanks - I really appreciate the response.
Sarah_Anne
on 12/7/11 4:18 am
I too had IBS - unexplained constipation, then diarrhea and terrible gas.  Now - nothing.  Totally normal.  Even if I don'****ch what I eat and have too much white flour I am still way better off than I was when I had IBS.   My intestines feel totally new.  There was a learning curve for sure and not everything was easy for me but I had an easy time with the intestinal part.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
Huneypie
on 12/7/11 5:25 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Wow, these replies are really *pleasantly* surprising me, thanks.
* Gail R *
on 12/7/11 4:55 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I had the non-constipation, lots of cramping, type. Think it is pretty much gone. I can get similar symptoms when I REALLY abuse simple carbs. It is such a releif not to have to search for a toilet whereever I go. I have never had that problem with the DS.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Huneypie
on 12/7/11 5:27 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Yeah, I used to have a gym membership and I used to call it my toilet membership - it was located in an area of shops without any public toilets LOL! 
(deactivated member)
on 12/7/11 5:06 am
My IBS is gone, gone, gone!!
Huneypie
on 12/7/11 5:30 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Excellent.  I'm starting to feel optimistic - I know this surgery is a big deal, but this could turn out to be an unexpected silver lining.  I'll have to hope I'm one of the lucky ones.
Sarah_Anne
on 12/7/11 6:35 am
I remember seeing someone post here that it made it worse, but I too, pre-surgery posted about IBS and everyone *****sponded said that their IBS was cured or got better.

I decided to take the chance, because if I could really NOT live with it, that part can always be reversed.  There is a better outcome weight wise when you have the sleeve and switch portion done together.  My main goal was to shed the extra weight and since I was already living with lots of intestinal issues I figured I could handle it.  You have to make the determination yourself, but that is my line of thinking. 

- S

HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)