One month out today, and the worse gas so far! Is it vites or half and half?

momx4
on 12/7/11 6:58 am - TX

So as I stated I am one month out today.  So far I have had the morning and mid day batch of vites per Vitalady's plan.......the only other thing I did different today was add half and half to my morning protein shake!   I am now having the WORST gas pain I have had.....I haven't really had any gas pain at all during this recovery.....yes gas but NOT PAINFUL gas!!   Do ya'll think it was the vites or the half and half!?  Weird thing is at first I made a handful of protein shakes with milk and still had no GI upset.  I have always now made them wiith heavy cream and water....until today when I added half and half also!?    What do ya'll think is causing this pain? 

thanks,

Kristi                
MajorMom
on 12/7/11 7:09 am - VA
You might have found it with the 1/2 & 1/2. Have you started a probiotic yet?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

momx4
on 12/7/11 7:17 am - TX
thanks for responding Gina!!  what is in the half and half that isn't in milk or heavy cream??   I haven't started a probiotic.....didn't know I needed one....I do take a PPI (prescribed by surgeon...never took them before DS)   what exactly do they do and what kind should I take!?!
Kristi                
MajorMom
on 12/7/11 7:23 am - VA
I'm beginning to wonder the same thing about the 1/2 & 1/2. For the past several weeks ours has chucks like Greek yogurt in it when we get it from the grocery store. It's not sour, just chunky. Anyway, you might want to go back to the cream and water and just see if that's it. You might start a probiotic if that doesn't work. I use one that some of the folks here recommended, Primal Defense Ultra. I can get it at VitaminShoppe or Whole Foods (refrigerated at VitaminShoppe). I only need one a day at this point and I take it mid afternoon.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/7/11 7:43 am
I'm seconding the probiotic.

Even if you don't take them daily (which I think we all should), it's important to take some after any round of antibiotic, which you had with surgery. The antibiotics kill the gut flora, good and bad, and sometimes it's easier for the bad to reestablish faster than the good stuff, especially if you aren't getting enough yogurt, kefir or other foods with natural probiotics (and most of us don't get things like fresh saur kraut and pickles that haven't had the probiotics killed off, or something like nato).

Gas is one of the things that bad gut flora can cause, but they are linking more and more health benefits to the good flora, so it's important to give them a foothold after antibiotics, even if you don't continue taking them.

dtabor5
on 12/7/11 9:13 am
when i was this point.. it was the half & half.... it soon gave way but you might want to use creamer.. sorry

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

duncans
on 12/7/11 10:56 am
I can't use half-n-half. Pure Cream for me.
butercup
on 12/7/11 11:21 am - Kennewick, WA
I had the same thing happen to me that far out too. I found out it was the half n half in larger amounts than a 1/4 c. Ooooo the gas and the explosive poo.
lk1970
on 12/7/11 8:29 pm
Try a probiotic like Gina said... I use Digestive Advantage Gas Defense. But you may have to try a few to see what works... and keep in mind your new insides are still finding their way and it may take time to get to your new "normal"

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

mrsannie
on 12/7/11 9:19 pm
 Like all above have said, a good probiotic will help, it really does for me!  Everyday I take 2 Digestive Advantage IBS pills, one in the am and one in the pm with a full glass of water and it really helps!  They are really cheap like $7 for a box of 30 and you can get them anywhere.  I tried more expensive ones, but these work great 

Also I have found that just drinking lots of water makes a real difference for me!  On days I don't I suffer.  Also walking helps with the gas.

Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"