iron, what foods to take with it and PPI...

honeybadger 11
on 12/6/11 10:06 pm - FL
Ive search and search because im sure this question has been asked before but nothing is coming up, even on advanced google search:(

I get up every AM have my constitution and start taking my iron. After my constitution im STARVING so ive been having 2oz of no sugar added natural applesauce.

2oz of my applesauce has 6carbs and 4 sugars which is more than i will want to be eating first thing in the morning.

Is there a better food i could be eating? I know you can only have fruits/veggies with your iron. Im not quite up to veggies yet but any suggestions would be helpful:)

Also, I wait to take my PPI after my iron but the iron is giving my those gross burps so ive only been waiting 30mins to take my PPI, can i take it before my iron to avoid those burps?

Thanks for any input:) jen

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

momx4
on 12/6/11 10:41 pm - TX
OMG JEN!!   I was about to post this SAME thing!   I am one month out today so I tried to start my vites!   I got all the iron and vit C down  and the copper.............but the "burps" are about to make me throw up?  What can we eat with these vites!?!?
Kristi                
fullhousemom
on 12/6/11 11:07 pm
You can try a little oatmeal with some protein powder in the morning.  This early out, that was the only thing that would settle my stomach in the morning.  I sweetened with with agave nectar, which is a carb but is not supposed to effect your sugar levels like brown sugar does.  That said, post DS I don't know how much of an issue that is anymore -it was just something I had on hand.

If you don't want to add a sweetener, add some raisins or dried cherries or chopped nuts.

Someone mentioned on here earlier that oatmeal had carbs in it.  For me, at that time, that was all I could tolerate.  The protein powder did make me feel better about having it. 

My doctor always told me to take my vitamins with food. 

Good luck.  At 8 weeks out, taking my vitamins isn't something I enjoy.  I never had a problem pre DS, but they just go down differently post DS.  I'm hoping this will go away eventually!
honeybadger 11
on 12/7/11 1:56 am - FL
I double checked the rules of what foods you can take with iron. You are only suppose to have fruit, veggies or meat. I didnt remember the meat one. No dairy, eggs, caffeine or whole grains.

So oatmeal wouldnt be a good choice as it would not help the iron absorb at its optimum level.

Yep, i totally agree with you. I was taking 17 vites before surgery due to low labs that came back and was happy to see they went down with no problem. After surgery is a whole other game. Takes me an hour to get them all done then i basic have to start taking the next set! I hope it get easier too! in time in sure it does:)

~Jennifer

momx4
on 12/7/11 2:13 am - TX
So what kind of meat are you gonna take so early in the morning?  Here it is noon and I am still queasy from the vites and protein shake from this morning......can't even look at my mid-day vites!!   Uugh!!!
Kristi                
honeybadger 11
on 12/7/11 7:05 am - FL
I agree, thats why i like the applesauce cuz its light on my tum but gives me enough that im not starving but i figure in the next week or 2 i need to let go of the sauce:( Maybe some breakfast sausage??? i will have to think this one over!

~Jennifer

fullhousemom
on 12/7/11 4:05 am
 How about a high quality deli meat?  We have Boarshead meat here in Michigan and it is wonderful. Or, leftover steak or chicken?  I have never had low iron, but I know cooking first thing in the morning, wouldnt be fun for you right now!
honeybadger 11
on 12/7/11 6:59 am - FL
Yeah, once i saw that meat was ok i thought that would be ok. I dont know how deli meat sounds first thing in the am but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!:)

Thanks for the suggestion!

~Jennifer

Kingy
on 12/7/11 4:38 am - Hobart, Australia
I know the vitalady schedule says to take the iron in the morning but I'm wondering if there's anything stopping us from taking them last thing at night, then we can sleep through the nasty burping and nausea.
honeybadger 11
on 12/7/11 6:28 am - FL
Some do take it at night you just have to make sure it is taken away from eggs, dairy, grain. For me this is a problem because i have to eat before bed as im so hungry in the morning. I think if i didnt eat i would probably wake up at 2am needing food! But it might work for you if you dont suffer from the same aflliction:)

~Jennifer