Iron + Hematologist = ???

bldeck
on 12/6/11 11:08 am - Farmington, NM
Okay so as life goes my Hematocrit and Hemoglobin are on the line for low.  My Iron, Iron Saturation, TIBC, and MCV are all mid range or higher.  So I trot myself of to the Hematologist like my good little PCP ordered.  Spent about and hour educating him and speaking with him about levels and such things.  He said you have plenty of Iron, I don't know why you are borderline anemic.  But this is what we are going to do.  Run some test to make sure I am not having trouble with my red blood cells or my bone marrow.  Double check my Ferritin levels, and leave me alone.  In 4 months we run the Iron tests all over again.  If no changes (as in lower numbers) then we do nothing, if the Hematocrit and Hemoglobin get lower we will look at adding a different type of Iron or even Iron transfusions. 

He was really on bored writing down the Proferron that I take from Vitalady, think he might use it with other patients since I told him it does not bother my stomach at all.  Stated I was really causing him to think and he would be researching my surgery more.  I printed a couple of the articles from DS facts for him.  I feel he is willing to learn so it might take us a while but hopefully we can get me off borderline anemic, though he did state that with the levels they were and the levels of my iron it was not to harmful for me to be on the line of low, unless it keeps falling. (forgot my ranges think it was HGB 13.2, HCT 33, but that is a guess since the results are at home).

Betty

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift

Kayla B.
on 12/6/11 11:38 am - Austin, TX
1.  I think you have the lab results wrong, because over 12 hgb is normal for a woman...13+ is not anemic.  If you remembered the HCT right, the quick little cheat is to divide by 3 and that'll get you close to what your hgb is...so that'd be more like 11 instead of 13, which would be low.

2.  There are many causes of anemia that have nothing to do with iron.  B-12, folic, copper, etc, etc.  Tons of things.

What do the rest of your labs say?
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg