7 months out - no menstrual cycle

LK_NC
on 12/6/11 10:24 am

I'm 7 and one half months out - 147 lbs down and have not had a menstrual cycle since right after surgery.

I am not pre-menopausal.  Did anyone else experience lack of cycle for this length of time?

newyorkbitch
on 12/6/11 10:46 am, edited 12/6/11 8:50 pm
 How old are you?

Go see your gyn and find out what's going on, especially if you'd like to have a child at some point.
fullhousemom
on 12/6/11 10:52 am
Losing that much weight in only 7 months is drastic.  I have no doubt that your hormones are going crazy!  I would also check with your surgeon to see if he has had patients who have had similar results.  I'm over my head with what you should do, but I do think you may need to piece all the information together with your surgeon, gyn, and hopefully, people on this forum.  Good luck to you!
Kayla B.
on 12/6/11 11:48 am, edited 12/6/11 11:48 am - Austin, TX
You should see your doctor to check on hormones.

And yes, I've been through this and it's not normal.  No natural period for me in about 3 years (4 yrs post op now).  I have hormonal imbalance.  I do not make estrogen or progesterone post-WLS and I am on hormone replacements.

It's important to check out because estrogen is highly tied to bone health because it helps with absorption of calcium.  So beyond reproductive health, it affects your whole body.

Hope this issue reverses for you.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Janet P.
on 12/6/11 6:49 pm
How old are you? I was in my mid-40's when I had my DS and I didn't have a period for almost a year. I was told by my gyn that it was the rapid/extreme weight loss. It ultimately did come back (I think it was almost a year before I went back to normal cycles).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Blank Out
on 12/6/11 10:54 pm
 I'm so envious!  I had my period when I had my DS, and it has been very regular ever since!  And, I am 46!!!!!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Alusien
on 12/7/11 12:29 am - Waxahachie, TX
Mine's about 15 days overdue this month.  I'm almost a year post-DS and only ever been four days late in my life other than when I was actually pregnant.   Ten years ago I had a tubal-ligation.

About four days after my missed period I started getting swelly boobs, extreme exhaustion, and food smell nausea, but all tests are negative.  My husband's been messing with me by telling the kids they're going to have a little sister soon. 

I'm guessing it's just an imbalance, as I had the flu really badly a couple of weeks ago and dropped 15lbs in a little over two weeks.  Fully half of that was in the two days I was completely out of it and wasn't awake/coherent enough to eat. Also have had horror-poops since being ill.

Or, I might actually be pregnant, but like the one time I miscarried, my hormones aren't high enough for things to remain viable.  Either that, or I've gotten an ectopic pregnancy going and it's not boosting my hormones enough for the tests.

I'm seeing Dr Stewart (Sue, actually) tomorrow for my one year checkup and will definitely bring it up then. 

I figure if I'm still late by the time my next period is due I'll see my PCP for more in-depth tests.

Dudette
on 12/7/11 3:20 am - Edina, MN
I woke up the morning of my surgery and my monthly curse had started. Ugh. It hadn't even occurred to me to bring supplies. Good thing my daughter was with me and *she* had packed some in her suitcase. When the nurses came into my room to get ready to wheel me to the OR they gave me a gown and told me to totally strip and put it on. I asked them if they were absolutely SURE they wanted me to do that. They thought about it for a few seconds and said... "Okay. Better leave your underwear and the pad on." Humiliations galore. Hehe.

My period lasted the whole time I was in the hospital post-op so I had to deal with that, PLUS the IV, the drain, etc. etc. Fun times. Since then I've had it twice more like clockwork. I've never been this regular. Weird.

After I gave birth to my 2nd and 3rd kids my period did not start back up on its own. I had to go into my Gyno and get it kick started with some hormone pills (basically birth control pills).

Hope you get it figured out. And enjoy not having to deal with it while it lasts.