Another Newbie with questions

cathygo
on 12/6/11 6:03 am
 I have been trying to find answers on Ds facts and earlier posts but I think I am just burned out with soooooo much reading. 

My main concern :  will lose the malabsorption part of the surgery in a few years? I have read and know  a girl form work  with RNY who   gain weight because she is  absorbing all the calories she  eats. Will this happen after the DS?   

Is this why some DSers regain? 

I already have the sleeve. Does this make the DS surgery more dangerous or less? 

THANKS in advance, I will have surgery  early next month and am stressing over this not working either. I need ALL the help I can get. 

Ohhh if someone can recommend an easy diagram or video to understand what will be done, would  be forever grateful..... I mean kindergarten easy!  LOL

Cath

Elizabeth N.
on 12/6/11 8:14 am - Burlington County, NJ
So much of the small intestine is bypassed with the DS that no, we don't lose the malabsorption. It might reduce a bit, with variances by individual, but it does not go away.

Are you getting your sleeve redone with your DS? That's the big factor in "danger" of the procedure. A reoperation on the stomach does statistically increase the risk, yes. If you are having only the intestinal procedure done, the stats are pretty much identical to virgin surgery. I don't remember any actual numbers to use for comparison purposes on the stomach reoperation, though, sorry.

cathygo
on 12/8/11 1:56 am
 I think I will get  the sleeve redone, that is what my surgeon anticipates. I will know fo sure when I get there.  I am going to Mexico fo this so he has not seen it  yet.

Thank you for the response, I  am happy to not lose the malabsorption.

Cath
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/11 2:40 am
I just had the exact same thing done that you're having done.  I hope you're going to Ungson??  He is the ONLY DS surgeon to use in Mexico.  My surgeon chose to NOT re-sleeve me because of the risks.  He said that new studies have been put out that show that the DS will work the same without the re-sleeve just without the jump start in the beginning.  Long term, the same.
DianaRR
on 12/6/11 8:35 am - CA
My doctor says we don't lose the malabsorption. What does happen is the stomach can stretch out and you can eat more, but you still malabsorb a percentage of what you each--the protein and fat.
Remember, you don't malabsorp the carbs, ever.

Carol P.
on 12/6/11 10:43 am
dsfacts.com is a great website to learn everything about the DS.

There's a diagram of what the new plumbing looks like at http://www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-procedure.html
cathygo
on 12/8/11 1:57 am
Thanks everyone.

Cath
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/11 3:46 am - Lancaster, OH
On December 6, 2011 at 2:03 PM Pacific Time, cathygo wrote:
 I have been trying to find answers on Ds facts and earlier posts but I think I am just burned out with soooooo much reading. 

My main concern :  will lose the malabsorption part of the surgery in a few years? I have read and know  a girl form work  with RNY who   gain weight because she is  absorbing all the calories she  eats. Will this happen after the DS?   

Is this why some DSers regain? 

I already have the sleeve. Does this make the DS surgery more dangerous or less? 

THANKS in advance, I will have surgery  early next month and am stressing over this not working either. I need ALL the help I can get. 

Ohhh if someone can recommend an easy diagram or video to understand what will be done, would  be forever grateful..... I mean kindergarten easy!  LOL

Cath

Cathy, I know you're tired of reading and all, but you really, REALLY, need to read about getting a DS in Mexico with anyone but Dr. Ungson.

It's your life, and you can do whatever you want with it, but, you haven't researched enough.
zuzupetals2u2
on 12/21/11 3:10 am - Sedona, AZ
This website recently got many of the most dedicated "pay-it-forward" WLS veterans angry, and we have started a new board. Please join us at weightlosssurgery.proboards.com to get input from happy, healthy and successful WLS veterans regarding information you NEED to know before you make one of the most important decisions in your life. This site is beholden to commercial interests - ours is not.

Come over & get more help before making your decision!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh