How Bad Are Farts And How Do You Guys Deal With Them?

Its a Secret
on 12/6/11 11:08 pm, edited 2/9/12 5:56 pm
Comment pulled because OH refuses to respect members privacy and moderates unfairly.

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/11 11:24 pm
Your lactose intolerance may get better the further out you are, some do and some don't.

Anytime you have a surgery that messes with your intestines you are going to have problems early out.  You should read some of the stuff I have that RNYer's have posted. They are as bad or worse than we are, I think probably because they were not prepared.

It gets better, once you get your food aversions figured out, get all your vites on board and take probiotics.

You will get there, don't worry!

Michele
Its a Secret
on 12/6/11 11:29 pm

sandyv63
on 12/7/11 1:40 am - Naples, FL
So call me a black sheep but at 4 weeks out, I have never had a slick, I am not farty and the little gas I do manage to pass is either mostly odorless or just regular stinky. I can't use my farts as a legal weapon.  My common channel is 100cc and I have been on very good probiotics for YEARS. I am thinking this makes all the difference. I avoid carbs because I am so early out. Maybe carbs would make me lethal; maybe not. Not yet ready to find out. I do not have diarrhea and instead, it looks like I am going to be one of those that leans towards constipation. That sucks but is easily remedied with some Triphala.
newyorkbitch
on 12/7/11 2:16 am
It's waaaaaaay to soon to know how you'll do in this department.  You are in the very very early healing phase.
Sunshine16
on 12/7/11 4:03 am
Yes I concurr......wayyyy too soon to say for you
Alusien
on 12/7/11 2:04 am - Waxahachie, TX
While my husband was in the military I picked up the esoteric fart-response phrase, "Didja gamble and lose?"

NEVER gamble on a fart the first few months post-op!

I personally love punishing the kids with carb-farts when they've been jerks.  I walk between them and crop-dust a nice smelly fart right on top of 'em.

At the very beginning my poop smelled like I had been eating dead pigeons (or simply stuffing them straight up my behind), but after things healed up the odor improved dramatically. Nowadays it's just horrible when I've strayed too far into carb-land.

Dudette
on 12/7/11 2:18 am - Edina, MN
Sandy, I'm 9 weeks out and my experience is similar to yours. After reading the fart/shart horror stories here for the past few months I'm still wondering when/if it's going to hit me. I've only had one "car clearing" fart since my surgery. I was in the car with my husband at the time and the payback was divine. LOL! Just one fart closer to getting even for what he's put me through over the years. ;-D I can honestly say I farted way more before the surgery than after.

Regarding BM's... same thing. They seem totally normal to me. I go one to three days in between. I too have a 100cm common channel. Perhaps when I get to the point when I am able to tolerate more foods and eat more than 400 to 500 calories a day things will change.

sandyv63
on 12/7/11 9:59 am - Naples, FL
Let's hope we stay relatively stink free in the long run.  I am liking not having this issue and I am really hoping it lasts. I don't think I'm even eating 500 calories yet but I am not tracking. I am finding it is a bit difficult to find full fat stuff sometimes because of this low fat craze going on in this country.  But I am still figuring out what I can eat, comfortably, and what needs to wait. Today I didn't eat much because I didn't feel like it.  I'm also really tired today and that's because this is my first week back to work and even though I have a desk job, I am beat.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
Valerie G.
on 12/7/11 4:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
A fart for me is a plain ol fart.  If I've been eating my yogurt regularly, it's not too bad, but if I have gone a few days without yogurt and I eat something totally bad, like a brownie, it can really stink, but no skid marks, I assure you.  If I'm at a planned event, I'm very mindful of what I eat.  Being 6 years post op, I get very few surprises.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes