Eatting all the time.

gena267
on 12/6/11 10:34 am
 Some times, no, alot of time, I feel all I do is eat.  Even my family has talked about it.  I have been in ER because of Hyperglycemia and low Potassium.  So I have upped my Potassium sub.  I am almost two years out and I thought my life would not be all about food at this point.  What I am try to express to others is dealing with food is never over.  You have to be just as diligent in taking care of your nutrition as you were just eating before.  Does anyone else out there have to eat every three hours or is this just a Hypoglycemic thing?  Thanks Gena
fullhousemom
on 12/6/11 10:48 am
My dad is five years out and eats all the time.  Snacks, eats meals, etc.  He usually makes sure he has protein at breakfast (2 eggs and bacon every day), protein at lunch (usually chicken), and protein for dinner (usually steak).  He has never had protein supplements.  He does snack ALOT and my mom always complains about how much he eats!  That said, his labs are fine, his weight is fine, and he feels good.  He is very diligent about his vitamins and annual checkups with his "fat doctor" (the nickname my dad gave to his surgeon).

His eating habits are very similar to what they were pre-op.  Those habits have not changed.  What has changed dramatically, is the amount he can eat at one sitting.  He eats WAY less than he used to eat.

He has no sugar or cholesterol issues since his surgery.  I think his habit of eating all the time, particularly in the late afternoon and evening, is just that.....a habit.
gena267
on 12/6/11 11:05 am
 I still eat protein first, do not care for carbs much.  I try to get all my protein from food, so I think that is part of it.  I am starting protein shakes this week due to yoyo sugar levels that have put me in the ER (Hypoglycemia).  The doc stated if I up my protein more it would help stabilize my sugar, this I did not know.  Thanks Gena
butercup
on 12/6/11 11:05 am - Kennewick, WA
I think you are supposed to eat all the time with a DS. You change from big meals to grazing all day. I would imagine that if you're eating what you should it wouldn't be a big deal.
gena267
on 12/6/11 11:08 am
 It is strange, I have had people that seem angry that I can eat so often.  What do you say to that kind of mentality?  Gena
butercup
on 12/6/11 11:47 am - Kennewick, WA
Tell them to mind their own damn business or stop being a hater!  Also many diet gurus out there will council people to give up the three big meals a day and replace them with smaller meals every two hours.  If they say anything contrary to you just say, "and yet my ass continues to shrink" then put a cube a cheese in your mouth.
gena267
on 12/6/11 12:43 pm
 I love it. gena
yorkieGal
on 12/6/11 10:05 pm - Clermont, FL

Hey Buttercup,
I have had this plenty of times....I eat all the time, I still get hungry every 2-3 hours and focus on protein. But I have had people say "oh my god, you're not eating again are you??"...at times I have felt hostility from other women. An example, we went to universal studios a few weeks ago with another couple.
This is how it went , kinda funny to me looking back on it......
Bf and I ate scrambled egg wraps in the car on the way (I made them with low carb wraps, bacon and cheese), I drank my coffee with sf caramel syrup and heavy cream. The other couple didnt want any as they are "watching their weight...."

About 11.30 I was starving again so ate a ton of meat from a smoked turkey leg...yummy

Around 2pm I got hungry again and had the insides/condiments of a large chilli cheese dog. the other couple had a small hot dog with fries and coke....

around 4.30 I had a few bites of a bf cheese bacon burger and a diet soda, they shared a churro and a diet coke

We had dinner that night at 8pm and I had a filet stuffed with white cheddar and bacon and a huge caesar salad with loads of dressing, extra parm and no croutons....They had texas cheese fries, chicken pasta and the bread bowl

The woman in the couple said something like "I can't believe how often you eat,and yet you run aroundi size 4 shorts it's almost disgusting".......wtf???.....So I told her I eat low carb, high protein and don't limit fat, drink water and exercise 4 days a week. I also told her that I had noticed she eats very little but what she does eat is laden with sugar and carbs........ My bf just laughed and said to her "Don't hate the player honey, hate the game"   we laughed all the way home

People can get bent out of shape.....it's just a mixture of good old fashioned frustration at their own weight issues and jealousy!!

Love to ya

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

1Blessed4life
on 12/7/11 1:38 am
Yorkie, Love your post!! I needed this today & love that I can Identify on this forum with others & don't feel such an outcast from others around me that complain about what & how much I eat. I ran the race, went through the storm & choose the lifestyle that works for me. It wasn't 'the easy way out', it was the way for me to be healthy. Thanks again for posting what I enjoyed reading & needed to hear today :o)

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image 
 HW: 260 / SW: 254 / CW: 140 on 01/15/13 Orig GW: 150             ~Jeremiah 29:11  

gena267
on 12/7/11 12:24 pm
 You hit the nail on the head.  I am trying to learn how to handle comments and frustration from others about what I put in my mouth.  How strange is that?  The DS brings all kinds of new experiences lol.Gena