I'm a newbie. DS surgery on Friday

Lisa R.
on 12/6/11 1:09 am - UT
 Hi! I'm a newb, too!

My surgery is scheduled for this coming Friday. (December 9th, 2011)

Since I got the good news on the first of December that I've been approved for a DS by my insurance, it's been hectic, and I've been a totally amped-up, and nerve wracked mess. 

The day I got the news I was working on getting the tree up. Here it is, if you're curious what Christmas tree abuse look like. I'm starting a self-help group after the New Year. *grin*

I have NEVER put so many decorations on a tree before. Hubby had to wire it to the wall to keep it from falling over forward. All that excitement, anxiety, and nervousness got loaded onto that fiber-optic fakery. 

I've cleaned three room's carpets, and laundered every piece of clothing, bedding, and accent textiles in this house. I even ironed my husband's uniform's, which I threw over almost a year ago as a lost cause. (He has an issue with hanging up his clothes.) 

I've done paper crafts, knitted half an afghan, and bathed and groomed our six fur-babies. 

I've also lost over 20 pounds by adhering to the pre-op liver-shrinking diet. I started it before I even got the insurance acceptance, or knew the surgery date, which turns out to be a really fortuitous act. 

Tomorrow is my pre-op day, and yet there's still so much to do to get my day-to-day responsibilities squared away before I go out of action for the 2-3 weeks before Christmas, not to mention all the added details the holiday brings. 

But you know what? It's OK. It's OK if I don't get everything done. 

It's OK if the porch handrail, 4 front windows (on 2 stories), lamp post, and garage door's outlines don't get their usual lighted garland wrapping. 

And it's OK if I don't get 8 dozen sour cream sugar cookies baked and decorated for the visiting grandkids (and bottomless pits known as sons) this year. 

And it's OK if I don't get the rest of the house deep cleaned before company arrives for a long weekend over the holiday. 

And it's OK if everything I normally would do doesn't get done. 

Not by me, anyways. 

It's time for me to focus on me, and take care of me. I'm officially kicking back and letting this holiday season unfold as it will. 

Best case scenario is that by being out of action, the opportunity now arises for other family members (who want to) to pick up the ball, and run it in for a touchdown; to have their moment to shine in the spotlight. 

Worst case scenario, it will be a simplier, quieter, more peaceful, season as all the contributors to my exhaustion/stress-out level are eliminated in a big, exhausted, dust cloud of acceptance. 

No matter what, it's OK for me to be focused elsewhere right now. It's not selfish, or self serving, either. By focusing on me, and my health--having this procedure--I'll be around for a lot more Christmases in the future. Without it, I had been told I would have less than 10. 

Yep, it really is OK.

MajorMom
on 12/6/11 1:17 am - VA
Welcome aboard! Now relax and read some good DS info on www.dsfacts.com . Good to have you here.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Nicolle
on 12/6/11 1:29 am
Wow. That's one hell of a tree.

Hey, if all of this activity is making you feel more "ready" for surgery, that's great. I just wished you lived closer so you could clean my house, top to bottom.

Best of luck to you. I can't wait to see next year's tree. With all of the lost weight and increased energy, I expect a Clark Griswold-style house, with millions of lights!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Frankie
on 12/6/11 1:33 am - NY
You have a lot of nervous energy, LOL.  Good luck and wishing you the best on Friday.

Frankie

larra
on 12/6/11 1:49 am - bay area, CA
If you somehow run out of things to clean at your house, come on over! There's always something here that could use more attention.
     And I think your tree is beautiful, even if it was the result of a fit of mania.

Larra
J G.
on 12/6/11 3:01 am
Can you come to my house?

Welcome aboard, woman!

- Jenny
Mandy B.
on 12/6/11 4:36 am - ID
Wishing you the best on Friday! Can't wait to hear about your experience...

fullhousemom
on 12/6/11 9:43 am
You are going into this with the right attitude!  Take care of yourself first.  That has been my mistake for many years raising my family.  You will do great!  Best wishes!
determineddanni
on 12/6/11 12:10 pm
Hello :) We have the same surgeon! I have my date on the 19th!

The best advice I can give  you is to stay active on this board and trust the vet's. READ READ READY all the old posts and educate because you are your own advocate for yourself post-op.

Excited for you! Keep us posted on how the surgery goes!

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

orangecrushed
on 12/6/11 10:05 pm - Triad, NC
Welcome to the board!  We have the same surgery date.  I have had a lot of nervous energy myself, but I think you'e well outpaced me. lol  Hope you get a chance to read all of the fantastic posts here... especially the ones for newbies/pre-ops!

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4280788/Repost-Request-Advice- for-Pre-Ops-with-Links/

I hope everything goes well for you, and you'll be in my thoughts!

Nic