Exhaustion is setting in, and I'm emotional due to it.

beth-28
on 12/5/11 9:05 pm
I got home from the hospital on Friday with a bottle of Lortab. I have taken it as directed ever since. However, it no longer works (even though the pain is decreasing...it's still enough to keep me awake at night). I rank my pain right now at about a 4.

At night, when my mind isn't occupied with sipping, walking, breathing, reading, etc., the pain seems worse than it really is because I have nothing to distract me from it.

I have gotten less than 4 hours of sleep at night since I've been home, but last night was the worst......less than 2 hours of sleep. I am so exhausted. I can't sleep on my side (normal position) even with padding and my stomach is still too heavy to lay flat on my back. I'm beginning to loathe my hubby's recliner.

While talking to him while he was getting ready to work, telling him how exhausted I am,  I started crying (let the hormone flow begin!), He was worried until I started threatening to make an effigy of the recliner and burn it! I was crying and laughing at the same time....that was an experience!

But seriously, I am so so tired. I don't know if I should call my surgeon (because if I can't sleep, I can't heal), or if I should call my PCP. Who would you call?
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

newyorkbitch
on 12/5/11 9:54 pm
Beth, sleep whenever you can/want.
orangecrushed
on 12/5/11 10:00 pm - Triad, NC
I would think your surgeon... at least, that's what I'd do.  If they can't get you something else, I'd hit up the PCP next.  I think some of the stronger pain killers need a physical script, rather than a phone in.

Hope it gets better soon!
Poodles
on 12/5/11 11:09 pm - TX
I would take a sleep aid if possible.  OTC tylenol stuff can raise your blood pressure... but Benedryl would work if you are in a terrible spot.   Just make sure you won't have any drug interactions.  I have also read that melatonin helps.   I take Valarian root on occasion.

Just remember this will get better!  You will heal!  It is worth it!
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

sandyv63
on 12/5/11 11:20 pm - Naples, FL

Can you take dilauded? That knocked me out.

All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
Alusien
on 12/7/11 12:07 am - Waxahachie, TX
Man, dilauded made me hallucinate.  That stuff was AWESOME.

Sheanie
on 12/5/11 11:24 pm
Are you napping during the day?  Try using pillows to prop or roll against your back, front, and under the upper leg when you lay on your side. 

I had the same issue post op, not being able to sleep very long.  I had to sleep in segments.  A few hours here, get up, watch TV until I was tired, lay back down.  I can't sleep on my back, so I had to figure out the pillow-propping thing. 

Also, I bought myself a Walmart $99 chair that heats and massages.  At first I was too big for it, now I swim in it.  Hubby already had one, it was the only thing that fit me comfortably. 

It was a chore to get comfortable early out for me.  I didn't put my bra on for several weeks.
Take it easy on yourself.  Sleep deprivation is the first thing they do to torture prisoners of war.  It's the most effective way of breaking a person's will. 

NAP during the day!

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Sheanie
on 12/5/11 11:26 pm
Oh, I forgot.  I tossed out my narcotics when I got home and couldn't sleep.  I did wonderfully on adult liquid Tylenol alone.  Some people react differently to narcotics.  For me, they kept me from sleeping and gave me hallucinations and freaky dreams.  If you CAN take them, great.  If you don't have to and Tylenol works, there's your answer.  IMHO

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Lisa A.
on 12/6/11 8:30 am - Windsor, NY
I also tossed my pain medicine the day after I came home from the hospital. It was making me sick and restless. Did much better once I got rid of that. Don't get me wrong - I was in pain but I could handle it.

beth-28
on 12/5/11 11:36 pm
I can't sleep at all. No naps or anything. If I could nap, I feel so much better, but I was an insomniac before the surgery and I guess it's continuing after. I have a chronic back condition...had it for the last 6-7 years and I take percocet and skelaxin for it normally.

However, you can't crush a percocet (it can kill you) and while I have Benadryl here it's usually hit or miss since I've been on narcotics so long.

Someone mentioned Diladud. I was on that while in the hospital, but my pain level would not justify such a strong narcotic. I mean, even at night my pain level is only about 3-4, but it's just enough to keep me awake....you know, kind of like an earache or toothache.

Update: I called my surgeon (who's in surgery until 2) and my PCP, so I covered both bases. I usually take ambien (prescribed by my PCP) but I need to know if Dr. Voellinger ok's me taking it, and if I need to cru**** I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.