Lab Orders Spreadsheet - blank for DSers to use with doctors - needs peer review

Larissa P.
on 12/6/11 2:54 am, edited 12/6/11 5:04 am - Denton, TX
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-23BxvUErz7ZjE3YmUxNDktMGM 2Mi00YjI2LWI5MjMtYmMyZTVjODYzZjdi

I've created this blank document for others to edit to their needs, but I need to vet it with you guys to make sure I'm not spreading misinformation or lack of important information.

Please take a look, at the lab list and the diagnostic codes. The general layout, etc, and make suggestions if you have any to improve it. I'd like to freely let it get shared after I know it is good information. This is gathered from many threads I've bookmarked, research from other DS surgeon's websites, and of course, Vitalady.

*edit: google docs sure knows how to mess up a document in preview. It looks terrible. Click on the "download original" link in the upper right hand corner to get the Excel file the way it's supposed to be.
  **edit: another version/link that is easier to read: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au23BxvUErz7dHhhUTRoUGx5Vm5BNXEwYnR1eW9GMUE
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/11 3:42 am - Woodbridge, VA
"Release all results to patient" is nice in theory, but the laws on this vary by state. I'm in VA, and neither LabCorp nor Quest is allowed to release records directly to patients here. I have no choice but to get them from my doc (hence the importance of a cooperative doc!).
Larissa P.
on 12/6/11 4:16 am, edited 12/6/11 4:38 am - Denton, TX
Thanks Jill for the heads up!

After research, I've determined that there are no laws in any state that specifically states you can't have them, but some provide roadblocks or are very unclear in what cir****tances you can have them. I've updated the document to include this information.

*edited to add: Viriginia is a state that specifically states a patient has a right to their labs upon request, so you need to look into that. You've been given some bad info by the lab people.

"What happens if my medical record has information in it that came from a different health
care provider?
Generally, if your provider has the medical information that you request, they must
give it to you. You have the right to get the information no matter who originally put it
in the record."

*EDIT my edit: looks like its possible only with doctor's permission (thus why I put it on the lab request sheet.

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/11 4:03 am - Woodbridge, VA
It's not the "lab people." It's ALL of Quest. Here is the info on their website:

http://www.questdiagnostics.com/common/faq/faq_patient_inqui ry_results_state_authorization.html
Larissa P.
on 12/7/11 4:35 am - Denton, TX
Well, if that doesn't bit the big one for you. :(

beemerbeeper
on 12/6/11 12:42 pm - AL
Which is one reason I refuse to use Lab Corp or Quest.  I use a hospital lab and they do release my labs to me because of that statement (release all results to patient) that I put on the lab sheet I write.  That is an ORDER from the doctor so I don't see how Lab Corp or Quest can ignore it.  Law?  I'd say show me the law.

Lab Corp and Quest suck IMO.  I hate them.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/11 4:00 am - Woodbridge, VA
They do suck, but my insurance requires I use them. I have no reason to go to a hospital.
beemerbeeper
on 12/7/11 8:53 am - AL
Going to a hospital lab is no different than going to any lab.  It isn't "going to a hospital."  I hate that insurance dictates where you recieve care.  I think the big labs give inadequate service.  When I've been to them they had no idea how to draw my labs and I don't trust what happens after they take my blood either.

~Becky

MajorMom
on 12/6/11 6:56 pm - VA
One of the things my lab always gives me grief over is the B1 and "which one". I think they have to know serum or whole blood.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Larissa P.
on 12/6/11 9:07 pm - Denton, TX
Which one should it be? I think one list I saw mentioned "B1, blood" but I left the "blood" off because I was like...of course we're testing blood, lol.