New here: having revision from RNY to DS on 12/15/11

sandyv63
on 12/5/11 10:10 am, edited 12/5/11 10:10 am - Naples, FL
You picked the absolute best surgeon to take care of you. I think a doc willing to wear a bowtie is willing to do anything for his patients.  I am not a revision but I just had to chime in with my 2 cents. You're going into this as a lightweight so I think you will not only hit goal, I think you may go beyond it unless to start to load up on carbs. You may lose slower but you might not. If you still have your gall bladder and appendix, ask Dr. K to remove them. You don't want to worry about your gall bladder acting up once you start losing the weight. I don't miss mine at all. Dr. K tried but could not reach my appendix (I was lap) so I only got one of the two removed but I got the one removed that had the most potential to cause problems.  Good luck to you and please continue to post about your experiences.

Oh, if you are lucky enough to get Nurse Ellen to take care of you at the hospital, please tell her Sandy from Naples says hello and thanks for the great care. The nursing staff at VHH is top notch and Ellen is truly wonderful.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
Tinabean
on 12/5/11 10:52 am - MN
I want a RNY to DS revision also. I received denial letter from insurance today. I am going to look into Dr. K for self pay. I am excited for you! Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/11 5:49 am
I am so sorry you were denied; if this was your first submission, you should consider doing an appeal (if you haven't already). Very often they deny you first go around, to make you/us 'chase'. Whatever route you go, I wish you the best!
Frankie
on 12/5/11 11:30 pm - NY
Congrats on making the decision to live healthier.  I am a RNY to DS revision, had surgery on September 26, 2011 (the best thing I did).  I had RNY in 2004 and weighed the day of surgery 287.  I lost 122lbs and gained 80 of that back,  Had I really known about DS in 2004 I would have pressed for that surgery.  I had no complications and my surgeon did it lap recovery was far better.

Wishing you the best on 12/15 your rebirth.

Frankie

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/11 5:45 am, edited 12/6/11 11:02 am
I know the feeling; I DID know about the DS in 2002, but it was very difficult to get approved. My insurance didn't cover it at all. Congrats on your revision, and thank you!
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 11:48 pm
I want to thank you all for your responses, one by one, by name. I'm so glad I finally got here, as I've been spinning like a top since this process started less than 2 months ago, and I still can't believe how fast tracked it is, and that I'm having revision surgery in just over a week! I appreciate all the insight, suggestions. My body is VERY stubborn, metabolically obstinate. I am hoping for a very smooth surgery and recovery, free of complications I had with my RNY. My real dream weight? 140. I can live with 150s, 160s fine. I know I'm starting lighter at 240 - only in our world, right, this is lightweight?! :-) That revisions tend to lose at a slower rate...I just want to get far past that 200 lb mark I've been stuck at with my RNY, and not have the surgery plumbing that doesn't work. :-) 
Nicolle
on 12/6/11 12:26 am
You went through one of Chicago's RNY mills. Not your fault--they are very convincing. Your surgery failed you, you did not fail your surgery.

Best of luck to you! The DS rocks!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

gena267
on 12/6/11 10:41 am
 Girl,I just want you to know I have had two close friends go from RNY TO DS and it has changed their life's.  They say it has been a whole new world.  I wish you the best and look forward to hearing great things about your journey.  Gena
Most Active