New here: having revision from RNY to DS on 12/15/11

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 7:02 am
Hi to all, I'm new here but not new to the WLS community :-) I had my gastric bypass in May 2002, around the time Carnie Wilson went public with hers and it was all very new, there was one support board we all went to besides here, Spotlight Health.  Nine years later, I made the decision to look into a revision, because it has been an uphill battle for me all along. My surgery weight was 280 lbs; I could barely get below 190 and staying under 200 has been a battle for me. I am someone who fully embraced this, and committed to not just going on a diet but making healthy habits a life style. Lean protein/complex carb eating, 5 meals a day, exercise 5x a week, 64 oz or more of water, all my supplements.  My weight is climbing again to 240 and I'm devastated.  DS is the surgery I wanted, but back then it was very difficult to get approved, my insurance didn't cover it. I've never been unrealistic about results, my target weight has been 150. Wearing a bikini isn't important to me :-) Being healthy, fit is. I'm 50 years old, and want to rock out the rest of these years being the best I can be, getting more of the results for the work I've been willing to put into it. 
MajorMom
on 12/5/11 7:03 am - VA
Welcome! There are quite a few Dr K folks here. I'm glad you're joining us.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

teachmid
on 12/5/11 7:06 am - OKC, OK
Welcome,
Dr. Keshishian did my revision last December. He is a gifted surgeon and a wonderful person.

Hang around here, read the board and ask questions.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 8:38 am
Thanks so much! I'm especially interested in hearing other revision stories/experiences; if you have old links you can share about yours - same as I mentioned below, so you don't have to re-type :-) I would love to hear more. 
teachmid
on 12/5/11 10:19 am - OKC, OK
I had my RNY in 1989 and did well for about 6 years or so, then started struggling with my weight and the return of my diabetes and hypertension.

I went on all the diets....lost...gained....and slowly got sicker and sicker. I was struggling with reactive hypoglycemia plus was on insulin and feeling horrible.

I looked Into the Stomaphyix, ROSE and a re vision to another RNY, but the insurance and logistics didn't work out. I started reading on the DS and got convinced.

I contacted Dr. K's office on Nov 1 last year and had my revision 12/15......same as you. DH and I spent 2 weeks in CA and were fortunate enough to have family there. The recovery was tough, but I'm lots older than before. Expect 2 jp drains and a feeding tube. The drains come out in about a week to 10 days and the feeding tube at 6 weeks. I went back to work at5 weeks, but didn't feel o****il about 7-8 weeks.

With a revision the weight loss is slower. I'd love to make it to the 160's but think I'll have to settle for where I'm at. You must be very diligent about fluids, vitamins and labs. I'm off all prescription meds except for Nexium and feel like I've gained 20 years of my life.

You'll do great!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/11 5:53 am
Thanks so much for sharing your story. You know, one thing about going through a revision, it's not the first time at the rodeo, so to speak :-) So much of what was new, unknown territory is now very familiar. Of course, the diet for the RNY and DS are different in very specific areas; similar in others, as are the universal themes of weight loss surgeries.I'm looking forward to being recovered from surgery enough to begin my workout/training again, and REALLY maximize this early post-op time. 
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 7:10 am
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 7:17 am, edited 12/5/11 7:17 am

Thank you! I'm so grateful to be given a second chance, and hopeful. I had a rough time with my first surgery which was done laproscopic. Had a complication, a second surgery, open, developed an infection in the wound, was on a wound vac and off work for nearly 3 months. Hernia repair a year later. So, I'm definitely mindful of the risks, and a bit nervous. I'm also a hard stick, have so much trouble with IVs. But I don't second guess my decision at all, and when I met Dr. Keshishian,for the first time I really felt like someone "heard" me, was speaking my language. I went to a very good hospital in Chicago, had a very good surgeon. But it wasn't the right option or surgery for me. I can only focus forward now!

Thanks again,
Sharyl 

HeatherLynn
on 12/5/11 8:09 am - TX
 I'm new to WLS, just being 3 weeks out, but wanted to welcome you regardless. :)
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 8:14 am

Well thank you :-)  The DS is a new road for me, but I have a lot of good knowledge about nutrition, exercise; I also remember what its like to be brand new :-) Wishing you well with your recovery and new beginning!