What I have learned at almost 3 weeks out...

Its a Secret
on 12/5/11 12:29 pm, edited 2/9/12 8:20 pm
Comment pulled because OH refuses to respect members privacy and moderates unfairly.

linda1814
on 12/5/11 12:42 pm
A few quick things... 
1.  Cream soups also often have flour used as a thickener.  Flour causes gas for many people.  Unless you make your own cream based soup or someone can list each ingredient, assume there is white flour in it.  Heavy cream and half and half do not have nearly as much lactose as milk does.  They can be used in place of milk and thinned out with water.  I was lactose intolerant prior to getting my DS.  They also make lactaid pills.  
2.  You're only 3 weeks out so it's not unusual for your guts to be acting weird.  Anything could be setting you off, not just lactose.  Staying away from milk shouldn't be the end of the world.  It's not that huge of a deal.
3.  DSers can drink through straws.  We don't have a straw rule like RNY patients might have.  
4.  Besides the scale, get a measuring tape.  I regret not measuring the inches that I was losing because there will be time when the scale doesn't move but your clothes will be getting looser.

Good luck on the rest of your journey

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

HeatherLynn
on 12/5/11 1:28 pm - TX
 I love your post. 

And my panties are getting too big, but nothing else is. 

I've learned that it's okay to still feel like crap at 3 weeks out, and even further. 

I have learned that although hubby and I did this together, we each have our own journey. He is not responsible for mine, and I am not responsible for his.  We can support one another, but neither of us can do this for one another. 

I have learned that my scale ****** me off. I get on it too much and I think it's the devil. I say you stay "scale free".

I have learned that it's easier to swallow a bunch of pills than I thought it would be.

beth-28
on 12/5/11 5:30 pm
"It's wrong to look forward to the first time you empty a public restroom just to see if you can."

If this is wrong, I don't want to be right...!

When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

MajorMom
on 12/5/11 6:23 pm - VA
Rock on!

You received some great advice in the posts you have in response. I'd like to add the suggestion of taking a probiotic now. Maybe 1 a day, late in the day, and see how you do. Primal Defense Ultra is a good one.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Its a Secret
on 12/5/11 8:17 pm, edited 2/9/12 8:20 pm
Comment pulled because OH refuses to respect members privacy and moderates unfairly.

honeybadger 11
on 12/5/11 8:50 pm - FL
Yep, i know all about the panties thing. I was working on the Christmas tree last nite and laughingly showed hubs the mess i had going on in the back of my pants. Undies up my butt and shimmied up around my was it (i wear low cut which should be down on the hips:) and my baggy yoga pants falling off my hips...hubs laughed so hard! I will def need new panties before i return to work or maybe suspenders! haha

Its hard not having a scale but i would say dont buy one! I thought i could break my "once a day" scale visit. I was good for 1 week! Im back to weighing daily. I will say i had a tiny plateau and even went up a lb  and i didnt loss my head and sabotage myself like i was want to do in the past:)

I agree...measure! It will give you a more accurate gage of how you are doing:)

Ive been using a straw since week 2 and ive not exploded in a gassy fire of DS bits. Those are RNY rules so get your straws out! I find it helps me get more water in and makes my protein shakes go down easier:)

Once you get on your full vite regiment (im taking vitaladys, hope you are too:) Your farting and pooing go way down. I was going 5-9 times a day. Been on full reg for a week, i go 2-3 times now and they smell less and so does the gas! WEIRD! For me getting the iron on board was terrible. Weird smelling gunmetal gray poos that burned my bum but now that im several days into adding 1 more pill every few days all is well.

Get a personal bidet! They are wonderful and helps with the acid poos. Dont forget wipes and diaper cream:)

You are gonna freak on friday when you get on that scale!!! I cant wait to hear the results:)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 10:58 pm
I love your 3 week lessons learned!!

Progresso makes a gluten-free cream of chicken and potato soup that isn't bad. It's too early for the corn or tater bits, but the chicken is very mushy. Best part is no carrots!! (I hate cooked carrots). The flour in cream of soups give me horrid gas. Being lactose intolerant, you might want to wait to experiment 6 or so months out with this soup + lactaid pills.

BTW Surgery plus getting your period on the operating table plus a migraine sux big hairy rat balls!! (thanks EN, I'll never get that image out of my brain now).

Keep sipping and moving around! 

Great job so far.

Hugs,
Ratkity
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/11 12:02 am
If you don't eat anything, you don't fart. Not smart but important to know for important appointments.

Look at how wise you are already! *lol* Great post!
gak
on 12/6/11 9:50 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Love your post ! can't wait to hear about the scale on Friday. I should of thrown away the scale years ago, as I am still addicted to it. You made a wise choice. Stick to it ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm