Sick and my surgery is in 2 weeks!

determineddanni
on 12/5/11 12:01 am

I am sick! UGGG Ok, so my surgery is on the 19th and I just came down with another cold. My immune system sucks and I am sick for the second time in the past 2 months. I am trying to beat it before it can get momentum and I have been taking airborne, Tylenol, nose spray, gargling sal****er, cough drops, hot tea with honey, hot long showers and drinking lots of fluids. Are there any other home remedies that anyone can suggest? I need to be as healthy as a horse before my surgery.

I month ago I was extremely sick and couldn’t even work for 4 days because I was so sick, just from a sticking cold. I was sick for a good solid 3 weeks before I finally started to feel like myself. My immune system really is not in the best shape … maybe because I am not in the best shape… So I cannot stress how important it is to help my body beat this thing.

I have a feeling though I am doing all I can but if anybody swears by something you had better let me know! I will try basically anything!

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

Mandy B.
on 12/5/11 12:04 am - ID
I don't have any suggestions for you - but I really hope that you can beat your cold into submission!

galla1
on 12/5/11 12:12 am
Sorry to hear :( I'm kinda a homeopathic junky.. are you taking your vits yet? I am also a big fan of acupressure points.. if you google acupressure points for cold you will find some stuff.. there are places on your face, chest, head and back that if you rub will help.. unfortunately a cold has to run its course.. A good thing to look forward to though is once you are healthy and in shape your may not get as sick..I know that since my surgery I have not been sick except for one time a cold thing came and went in 3 days!! Anyway not sure if you are into the acupressure stuff or not but I do it all the time especially during the flu season..It won't take it away but it might help your symptoms..  Hope you feel better soon!

P.S.. you are getting so close.. Can't wait for your "new" future to begin!!

SW 314-- CW 170-- GW 155   HT 5'7"  I love my DS !!
determineddanni
on 12/5/11 12:22 am
I love your new avatar!
If I do not feel well by the middle of this week I am going to look up acupuncture. I will do anything to help get me in good health. I am taking all my pre-op vitamins as well. I even upped my D. Thank you for the advice:) Can't wait to join you on the dark side!

honeybadger 11
on 12/5/11 12:50 am - FL
I dont know what restrictions your doc puts on preop meds and this is not homeopathic but i started out with a little sore throat and runny nose 2 days before i left for surgery.  Then after 9 hrs in a car to weather that was much colder than what i left kicked me into a full blown head cold.

I swear by mucinex. I asked my surgeon if there would be a problem with it before surgery and he said just as long as i wasnt overdoing anything and i followed the dose instructions.

I was able to stop the mucinex a week before surgery and everything went fine.

I would also highly recommend that once you are feeling somewhat better that you are getting in some exercise. Taking a walk for 20mins will get you breathing deeper and its good for the immune system and stress...but not while you are sick, like i said wait til you feel better:)

I was scared to death that my cold would prevent surgery.  My surgeon said just as long as my lungs were clear a little runny nose was ok.

I hope you feel better soon!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

determineddanni
on 12/5/11 1:00 am

I have never tried mucinex. Decongestive medicines usually clash with thyroid problems due to upping your heart rate. So I mainly avoid them. I will call up my endo today and see if that can be taken:) I love thos mucinex commercials hehe

Thank you for the suggestion and the advice, seems you went through that same boat :) Makes me relax a bit. I hope I kick this thing!

honeybadger 11
on 12/5/11 2:07 am - FL
They have one with just guaifenesin in it which thins the mucus and lets you blow/cough it up easier. I didnt see and side effects of increased heart rate but i maybe wrong:) Hope this is helpful. Ive not dealt with thyroids issues but i have a close friend that does and its the pits!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

Miss Liss
on 12/5/11 1:31 am
I have chronic sinus problems that really rear their ugly heads this time of the year.  I usually end up on antibiotics a few times, and that really sucks.  After catching my second cold, I went to the health food store and talked to the owner who has given me great advice in the past, and she told me to buy Olive Leaf Nasal Spray by Seagate as Olive Leaf Extract is supposed to have antimicrobial, antiviral, and antifungal properties.  I was desperate so I bought it not thinking it would actually work.  But, AMAZINGLY, it worked very well.  And I have now purchased another bottle to continue to use through this season.  When I was sick, I used it 4 times per day.  Now I just use it twice per day.  Once in the morning and then at bedtime.  You can google it and read about it.  Good luck.  I hope you feel better soon.
determineddanni
on 12/5/11 1:38 am

I didn't even think of a neti pot. Good idea! So is Xylitol found in the cold medicine section? I am writing all this posts down and I am heading to walgreen's after work!

determineddanni
on 12/5/11 2:20 am
OOOO I like the sound of this one and i like how you can continue using it as well. I hope our small natural food store has it. This is something I would probably use all winter long. I looked at the reviews of it too and everyone gives it 5 stars! Thank you so much for the suggestion.